Monday, April 12, 2010

The Call

New City makes burritos on a monthly basis and takes them to the downtown area of Phoenix that has numerous homeless shelters. We have been doing this for 1.5 years. Each time we do this I pray that I would be able to talk to at least one person. We always have different groups help us both make the burritos and hand them out.

This time I talked with Kevin. He is a tall man, with long hair that abruptly asked me to pray for him. He had court today and was nervous about what was going to happen. This is sad to say but I have given my card to many in this area and said call and let me see what I can do to help. Until Kevin no one had called. Today I got a voice mail from Kevin saying that he wanted to talk.

I am so sorry that I didn’t have my phone next to me. I pray that Kevin will call back and get me. He called from a number at Andre House that didn’t give access to a real person, but just messages about their services. I am excited to hear his story and discover what happened in court today. I know that the look of most faces when we hand out the burritos is one of thankfulness and a true appreciation for shaking a hand and listening for a minute.

Now I hope that Kevin will take a step and call me again. I pray that I can be persistent in finding him this week. Jesus loves the lost, the least and the last. I pray that I can learn how to also care for those who have been forgotten and overlooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment