Tuesday, January 13, 2015

What's Your Plan?

It’s so true that no one ever wrote down a plan to be broke, fat, lazy or stupid. Yet all of these things happen when you don’t have a plan to avoid being broke, becoming lazy or fat and stop learning! My mom always taught me that no one ever plans on failing but when you choose not to plan than you are planning on failing most likely. Most things in life that have value come not by accident but by planning! So what has to happen for you or me to come up with a plan or road map for life?

I know that one of the keys to making it in life isn’t that you have to be a genius but someone who has a plan or dream that you never stop pursuing! The challenge is that too often I just don’t feel like doing it and expect something to happen without doing much of anything. So life has to be about taking ‘baby steps’ to be able to grow and become a different person tomorrow. This doesn’t require a PhD or coach to figure out.

My mom would always tell me if you don’t succeed the first time don’t stop but keep on trying and trying. The worst that can happen is that you figure out that your present dream or plan isn’t yours to pursue. Yet, in the process of trying you can choose to do good things that can become great things eventually. Ultimately it’s not about the destination but about how you face the journey before you. I know that most want to make it to the top of their game but what if making it to the top means you hurt someone on the way or leave your family behind.

I just finished a meeting with a new friend who is also involved with helping at risk youth figure out life. Most of our discussion was about helping others understand that everyone isn’t the same, that our way might not work for another and that we might have to rethink our way of living. The opportunity is to help someone else initially see that life is the most amazing gift we have regardless of race, religion or economics. The challenge is that too often we allow those around us to define who we are instead of experiencing the freedom to be ourselves.

I know that various companies have symbols or a sense about them that all that matters is pushing yourself to your limit. I know that Einstein would say that it requires primarily perspiration and a little inspiration to succeed and make a difference in the world. So what stops you or me from having a simple plan that we write down, talk about and think about everyday? I don’t think anyone wants to become broke, lazy, fat or stupid.


I’m around a lot of people who would challenge me on a daily basis to do something that counts. My mom would always tell me that any job was a job worth doing well and that the best reward was giving it your all and not expect any rewards or acknowledgment!  So get going and make a simple plan and follow it regardless of how many times you have to start over!

No comments:

Post a Comment