Thursday, February 2, 2017

Friends make life happen!

I know that the number of friends I have on Facebook or followers on LinkedIn doesn’t necessarily mean that when I crash and burn that anyone will notice or care. I confess that I have moments where I think that life would be so less stressful if I didn’t have to bother with friend’s baggage or take the time to share my latest tragedy. Yet, the more I live life I see the need or more honestly the benefit of having a few, not 1,000’s of special friends.

It had a rather sad day yesterday as I mourned the death of a friend but just as important realized the power of friendship. I spent some time with some old friends who I hadn’t seen probably in 10 years. Yet, what made this so special was it like we had spoken a few days ago. How is it possible to reconnect with someone right where you had left off? I’m also awed at how renewing old friendships has the power to re-invigorate my life!

I sat in the middle of a fancy food court a few days ago with a friend that I respect big time. It was incredible to be able to laugh, reflect and share some bad news together. What touched me was that this friend had taken the time to drive almost two hours to visit a mutual friend in the hospital. As we sat enjoying our Gyros I realized that it was our mutual care for a friend in the ICU that gave us an incredible lunch to catch up and care. What struck me was that this friend is a ‘cool’ guy that I should have been more intentional with meeting but it took a tragedy, ultimately the death of a friend, to bring us together.

As I returned home from making a new friend meeting at a ‘hipster coffee place’ I was alarmed at the mess one of my dogs had left me as I talked with a younger friend going through a crisis. What struck me as I listened to my friend was how he trusted me enough to share his heart and sorrow in life. It reminded me of the importance of both being a friend to someone and having a friend to listen.  I seldom top my normal life routine to grieve, cry or take a break but recent death of a friend brought my life back to the forefront.

I confess that too often I define achievement or success in my life by what I do each day. The difficulty is the things that I’m doing are usually good things that see people helped or connected to people that can make a difference. So, what happens when I stop something to focus on something totally different? It struck me as I sent out group texts about canceling tutoring or life group that it was teaching others about what matters or should come first. Yes, its ok to stop, cry, yes Dave had tears and did take a breather or break.

The bigger reminder to me was how easy it is at times to neglect or even ignore my bestie – my wife, partner and amazing best friend. As my Anne came home from work I noticed that she unfortunately had succumbed to the flu bug. It would have been criminal to force her to do tutoring and just as inconsiderate to drag her to meet with a group of old friends to grieve over our mutual friend’s death.

Yes, I love being a friend just as much as my ego fights it I do need FRIENDS! So, open your eyes today to renew a friendship and potentially birth a new friendship J







No comments:

Post a Comment