Friday, March 10, 2017

Dogs are Man or Women’s best friend or at times only friends?

I can remember an early morning walk on our canal almost 5 years ago when we rescued a little puppy that ultimately rescued me! As we were walking our dogs on the canal path there was a school bus that abruptly stopped and the Lady Bus Driver screeched out for our help to get a dog that was underneath her bus. I was able to capture this little spotted puppy and eventually get her in the back of my truck with me as we rode back to our house. Little did I know that this Pit-Dalmatian mix pup would capture not just my heart but the hearts of many!

My wife nicked name Freckles, Kong because of her ‘King Kong’ type qualities of being able to literally fly through the air and be able to bounce off walls or couches. I continue to chuckle when Freckles wants to sit on my lap when we’re going for a ride in my truck. She clearly remembers the days when she was a puppy and easily fit on my lap. Today she is a 50 pounder that takes up my entire seat. So, unless I give her a real hug and a gentle push she will remain in my seat assuming she can drive the truck.

What strikes me as I age is that my dogs over the years have given me unconditional love, affection and attention regardless of how I have treated them. Incredible to think that I have few friends who have withstood the test of time when it comes to these endearing qualities. My incredible wife is the one who has taught me so much about loving strays and seeing a 100-fold return on rescuing a mutt! I must admit that in many ways she has rescued me the bigger Mutt.

One of the more difficult aspects of having your dog as your bestie is that you will outlive many dogs during your life time. I will always remember the last months of our beloved Penny our Red Merle Aussie. Penny lived to be 19 because she was my incredible jogging dog. I have memories of being crazy stupid during Penny’s last couple of months by getting another pound puppy, Graham, who now is the aging grandpa in our family. Amazingly old graham has had a resurgence in his life after getting on a pain med regiment!

The real heart breaking point of my post is to remember Mango, my brother’s family English Lab. Mango was a gigantic Lab who had such an incredible heart to love, listen and obey. We had the privilege over the years of having Mango spend the summer with our herd while my brother was off on various trips all over the world. It was so sad to hear the news of Mango having cancer 6 months ago. I knew that one day we would be with my brother and family as Mango came to the end of a very full life! The difficulty is that none of us, myself included were ready to say good-bye.

As I watched Mango take his last breath I could see the love that he had given to his family over his 12 years of life. As I write this tears come so easily because cancer should never take any life whether that be of your parent, grandparent or a child, yet it does. I know one of the most difficult decisions to make was not to allow Mango to suffer anymore. Just as He had given all of us a taste of heavenly love and patience, we now had the opportunity to allow our special friend to enter into his rest and no longer suffer!
My awesome wife wrote a tribute to Mango that finished with his going to his heavenly home to greet my mom, dad and our dogs that had preceded him, Penny, Truly, Rosie and our cats Blackie and Rascal.

I know that my Graham won’t be around too much longer but I’m so thankful for Graham’s love and reminder of my dad or grandpa Ed who had his moments where he would space out.


Yes, dogs, Penny, Clyde, Matilda, Penny, Graham, Truly, Rosy, Peanut, Carly, Freckles & Gus have been my best friends over my lifetime! I thank my Creator for giving me these incredible gifts as pet-friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment