Friday, June 7, 2013

I Can't Believe That My Anne Broke Her Foot!


The last thing I would ever wish upon a person is to experience pain and the agony of breaking a bone. I can remember my son experiencing a broken arm thanks to football and his interception that turned into a touchdown that wasn’t welcomed by the opposing time. The opposing team went after him in the next play and he ended up in the ER. This last week my Anne slipped during the last leg of a hike. What she thought was just a twisted ankle turned into a nightmare. She actually broke her ankle and need surgery.

I had already run down the trail with a few of the guys that can fly like the wind. We had hiked the South Mountain Summit Trail and a few were bothered by the heat so I decided to run down and drive up to get them. Anne was going to hike down the trail with the dogs and we would meet her at the end. I secretly was hoping that she would have stayed at the top of the trail and waited for me but she didn’t. I would have done the same thing.

After dropping off a few of the teens at my house I went back to find her. I called and actually got her to answer her cell. She didn’t sound too great when she said she had fallen and twisted her ankle and was limping back to the van with the dogs with a couple of helpers. I quickly got back to the trail which is just minutes from our house. I was so hoping and praying that she would just have a sprain. We went back to the house and she iced her ankle as I took home the remainder of the teens who had hiked.

Fortunately for Anne there is an urgent care just minutes away from our house. We pulled up and I helped her hobble into the lobby and get a seat. I eventually get her a wheel car to be whizzed around while at the urgent care. It turned out that there was actually a foot doctor who was at this location a few times a week. She was able to seem him. After an x-ray it was clear that she has broken her ankle and would need to have surgery. I couldn’t believe I heard him say the word SURGERY. Anne had just had surgery last summer. How could this be happening to my Anne? I felt so bad for her.

We went back to the consult room and listened to what type of surgery would be required to get her back up and running. The doctor described how he would have to put a screw and plate on her bones to aid in the healing process. There was no way to get around the need for surgery. This was the bad news, which no one wants to hear about their kid or especially their spouse. The good news was that the doctor had surgery openings the following day. So his staff quickly arranged for the procedure to happen at 3 pm. We went home totally shocked at what was going to happen the following day.

We actually debated or I should say argued about whether we should allow this Foot Doctor to do the surgery or pursue using an Orthopedic Surgeon to do the surgery. Anne has worked for Ortho Doctors for over 25 years and knew the issue between them and DPM’s. I just wanted her to have the surgery and not have to wait a week. We talked with other family members and between ourselves and finally when the hour approached we went with the Foot Doctor. Anne was very apprehensive about the surgery but the procedure went really well. I know that the doctor sensed this and most likely one of his staff informed him of our questioning his skill level.

As we pulled into the hospital entrance we were fortunate to have one of the staff get a wheel chair and direct us to the surgical center. We went through signing our life away with numerous forms. I picked up this fancy pager that texted updates of the surgery. I decided to get something to eat while waiting. There was a sub shop across from the new hospital. After enjoying a roast beef sandwich I went back to waiting for the text and then call. Finally the call came that the surgery was over and she was in recovery. The Doctor came out and assured me that everything went really well. He was ready for the weekend with his family. Little did he know that Anne would take over 3 hours to recover from the anesthesia.

I received another call from the nurse explaining that Anne didn’t want to wake up and was feeling horribly nauseated. Ouch, I knew that this might happen because she doesn’t do well with drugs. So I went back and saw her with this dazed look on her face. She didn’t want to open her eyes because the world was spinning around her. I had to keep waking her because she has low blood pressure so the alarms would keep going off. The next couple of hours went very slowly as she eventually was able to awake and eat a little without having it come back up.

I was impressed with the charge nurse who was quick to see the problem. We were able to get a small wheelchair for Anne to maneuver back at the house. It was quite a bit of work getting her back up and ready to depart. She definitely didn’t want to stay at the hospital for the night. I wanted her home and able to start resting and recuperating.

She slept on our couch for the next 4 days before she went back to the doctor. She had a real cast on that had to be removed and then she was placed in a normal ace bandage with her air boot. I was surprised to see the incision, which had 15 staples but looked clean and not infected. I know that the sentence that was passed for her slip on the trail would be 2 months of being off her foot. This was the last thing my Anne wanted for the summer time, which for us is very active.

I cried myself to sleep the first night we were back at home after the surgery. The reality of what was going to happen was setting in and my need to be there, be sensitive and caring was to be very important. I knew that our summer program schedule would have me out and could end up making Anne feel like she is being ignored. I actually cancelled our involvement with a VBS and then also a joint worship service.

I know that Anne will be the perfect patient who will follow the doctor’s orders to the full extent. I now pray that I can be an encouragement and special friend over the next 2 months while she gets back on her feet and is able to walk and then run. I do look forward in the fall to hike back up the South Mountain Summit Trail!

No comments:

Post a Comment