Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Are you chasing after the wind? How do you get your focus back?

I can remember watching one of my dogs chasing after their tail until they literally seemed to collapse from exhaustion. We can laugh at foolish or silly things that others are doing but seldom admit that we too might be chasing after the wind as we pursue something that we know ultimately isn’t what’s best for us.  Yet, for whatever reason we really believe something that is too good to be true. I can remember my mom at times lecturing me on the benefit of working hard and keeping a job. She always reminded me that there wasn’t going to be a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow and that playing the Powerball was crazy stupid.  

I just heard on the radio how a single mom with a challenged child won over 88 million playing the odds. It’s incredible that she will have the means to give her handicapped child the benefits he or she deserves and allow her to not have to juggle multiple jobs or be ‘panhandling’ from friends.  Yet, the odds of another person in similar circumstances winning the lottery are a zillion to one. Yet, too many really believe that there is a short cut to success or gaining the resources to get that car, computer, house or whatever. So how does someone get their focus back after chasing after lesser things?

I know that change for anyone is a major decision that requires letting go of the past and allowing a better future to become possible. The difficulty is that too often we become obsessed with things that are good but not what’s really important. It’s so easy to allow the urgent to consume our emotional energy and then not be ready to pursue the great things that are at our doorstep.  I admit that my vision can be clouded by the fads of today and forget that too often the adages that mom or grandpa preached are still true today.

Distractions are a normal part of life and what determines who is able to rise above the noise of the street goes back to being able to focus on what really counts. I’m around a lot of teens and adults who have never had much in terms of material possessions. So it is so easy to believe that if I had those nice new pair of Air Jordans my life would be so incredible. Yet, after spending $300 I come to the realization that my life isn’t any better, my friend’s list or connections haven’t grown and now I’m broke.

How often do individuals change jobs or consider different careers without having a reason that goes beyond hedonism or materialism. Is it possible to ever be content in life with less instead of having more or having less responsibility at work to have more time at home? I confess to my addiction to the latest Apple product. So is my life really going to be any better if I rush out and get the latest iWatch or upgrade my laptop or iPad to the newer version? Clearly my present lineup is more than adequate for the next year or so.  I can have double vision so easily and be confused about the needs of the world around me where I become paralyzed thinking that I have to be the next Mother Teresa or Bill Gates, instead of being me.


My mom would always tell me to open my eyes and really take in the world around me.  So I admit that it’s too easy to miss the incredible sunrise, sunset or more importantly the family member, friend or neighbor who needs a smile, a hug and a listening ear. I applaud Mr. Covey in his push to help men especially see that on our death beds we are definitely not going to think how our lives would have been so much better if we had stayed at the office until 8 or 9 each night. All of our busyness will come back to be a wake up call that life has to more than chasing after the latest fad and more so the good instead of the great or best things in life. Relationships I believe become the path to having the right things in life catch you. It’s always through my wife, a close friend or one of my adult kids that I always learn the most and can be humbled to realize that too often I’m chasing after the wind!

No comments:

Post a Comment