Saturday, February 28, 2015

The Best Advice is Free!

I just finished reading a LinkedIn Influencer post about someone explaining or justifying their exorbitant salary as an advisor. I can’t fathom someone paying me $20k to come to one board meeting or give me a percent of their company.  I had asked a teen to give advice to his younger twin brothers if he knew that he was going to die tonight. What he said is priceless and I’m guessing some clinical Pyshcatrist would have billed these eleven year old twin’s mom at least $200 or more. His amazing but simple wisdom was not to ignore any advice from your parents because you will regret it later in life.  My mom so often would tell me that the people around me that knew me the most and would help in life decision making boiled down to her, my dad and my grandparents.  

What I’m learning, sometimes at a high price tag, is that most of life’s critical decisions are best made with those who know you the best and don’t charge you for giving a little help. It’s easy for me at times to be put in a position of a consultant or expert on matters pertaining the practical side of doing community work with at risk youth. Too often my wisest counselors are not who you would expect but younger kids or teens who will speak what’s on their mind and not be concerned about the reaction of others.

I had asked on of my little guys what was his New Year’s Resolution. I was shocked to hear him express that he needed to stop disrespecting his mom and not talk back to her. I asked him why and he continued with sage like advice, she’s one of the few people that truly care about me so when I’m rude and crude to her she gets hurt and I eventually get into real trouble. I can’t fathom how many therapists or counselors he could have seen over a year that wouldn’t have come up with such concise advice that ultimately would work. Yes, at times mothers do know best contrary to the sitcom Father Knows Best.

I have learned more from my senior friends over the last decade when it comes to what really matters in life. Yes, I could pursue a life coach and set up numerous appointments spending a small fortune but in the end doubt whether the dribble that would come forth would come close to the pearls of wisdom from my close grandma friends. Maybe it’s time that Corporate America and the Federal Government pay more attention to the little kids and the grandmas.

I shouldn’t have to be paid a large sum of funds to volunteer on a board that pursues my passion in life. It should be a joy and a gift back to help others see that not everything in life is based upon a monetary reward. Imagine how many are growing up today making the erroneous assumption that they should get paid for doing their chores around the house.  My mom would always tell me that any job worth doing was worth doing well and the reward was in doing the job to the best of my ability.


So back to that LinkedIn Influencer post that made delineations about advisors that are both knowers and doers. I know that my mom and many other moms and grandmas truly know so much more than ever given credit. So what do we pay such exorbitant sums for consultants or advisors? My teen offered up the best advice to his twin brothers as a gift. 

Time for the rest of us to stand up against the false assumption that experience or wisdom comes with a price tag. Go talk to Grandma!

No comments:

Post a Comment