Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Why the ongoing violence in our communities?

I had a good friend send me a link to a High School classroom video that recently had gone viral. It showed a police officer attempting to take a student out of the classroom for being disrespectful. The video taken by one of the students shows the officer’s attempt to get her to cooperate turns into his throwing her to the ground in a rather violent fashion. Clearly the officer has used too extreme of force to remove the student but why didn’t the student comply with the teacher, administrator and now the officer? Now the school, the officer and student are featured on all social media, the news and soon in court.

I recently did a community service project where 140 volunteers partnered with me to paint the exterior of houses of low-income seniors. What strikes me as I contrast how it was possible in a tough neighborhood to have that many volunteers do something rather amazing; help someone in real need. After a few hours of painting the houses were finished, cleaned up and everyone from volunteer to grandmas and grandpas could step back to see the power of working together. The amazing picture that stands out in my mind is that of two little girls playing together as their parents painted grandma Sophie’s house.

What happened that caused a classroom to turn into strong-armed attack by a police officer with a student? What happened that orchestrated the painting of 5 houses with 140 volunteers that ended in a rather peaceful fashion with everyone walking away sensing something good had happened and the community was better? It’s amazing the difference between the clash and abuse of authority; contrasted to the proper use of someone’s gifts and time to do something positive and beneficial to the community.

I totally understand looking back as a teen growing up in the 60’s how I balked at any form of authority that told me what to do especially if it was contrary to my own will. I can also remember the quickness of many to distrust and disrespect those that were older. Looking back I must admit that I was wrong regardless of whether I had a bad teacher, had an unfortunate experience with a law officer or didn’t always agree with my parent’s dictates because of my unwillingness to listen. The opportunity is for all to stop assuming that their rights and authority in any situation gives them license to harm anyone or destroy property. What would have happened in that classroom if that student had listened to their teacher that day and behaved? What might have happened if the police officer instead of attempting to physically restrain the girl had called her parent(s) and allowed them to take their daughter home?

What if a person’s rights took the back seat to having a heart of compassion and understanding in this type of situation? Maybe the student had the day from hell and had a meltdown? It is possible that the officer also had a bad morning but unfortunately took out his anger on the student instead of dealing with his own personal feelings.  The opportunity is for all involved ultimately to do what is right and work through personal differences that then help the rest of us see that it is possible to resolve differences without using violence. 

I know personally it is very difficult to confess to my part in loosing my temper or making a poor judgment call. The reality that is unfortunate to admit is that at times our poor choices will require a response that requires ‘special help’ whether that’s my willful disobedience to an authority figure or the extreme misuse of someone’s authority to stop a bad situation from getting worse.


Why can’t we be like the two little kids that played together as their family and friends painted a house?

No comments:

Post a Comment