Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The Plague

It is unusual for me to pull the plug on activities because I am sick. Yet, after Terrance passed along the plague to both and Anne and I, that’s what happened. I don’t really like being sick but I can see the advantage of having some down time. Yeah, God actually sees the need for a nap on occasion. It does occur to me to look at how the Almighty functions and see that he choose to take a day to rest or reflect on his awesome creation. The challenge over the centuries is that man usually has worked 7 days a week non-stop.

It has only been in the last 100 years that the notion of a weekend and actually taking time away from working has become more part of our culture. It is true that even when the Israelites were in captivity they were allowed to worship on the Sabbath but had to maintain their level of production regardless of what they did. Our culture especially has shifted from working to live to now living for the weekends. The notion of real rest and getting away is a foreign concept. We are just as crazed about the weekend as we are about getting ahead at work or in our academic settings.

So when I get a chance to be lazy by necessity it is ok. I have actually read a couple of books that I needed to hear the message of the authors. I don’t like having a headache, croaky voice or sore throat. I have babied myself by taking vitamins and drugs. So I am slowly recovering from the plague. I hope I don’t pass it on but it happens. I think sometimes God uses our sickness to force us to take time to experience life in the slow zone.

So back to my bed to read a little and nap a little! Thanks Terrance!

No comments:

Post a Comment