Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Life Change Happens Two Steps Forward and Three Steps Backwards

Life is always a series of ups and downs that we are too slow to admit and afraid that it will burst the bubble of our spotless reputation of those around us. I have been raised to believe that hard work, commitment, passion for life and learning are key to figuring out your path in life. I have also learned over the years that handling failure is more critical to someone’s life long growth than how many successes you have had. It has been amazing to watch a few of my teens who have experienced failure, because of their own poor choices, be able to later step up and be an influencer for the good of others.

It was a year almost a year ago that one of my teens did something crazy at his school that potential could have had him locked up in prison for a long time. He was just being his typical joking and sarcastic self. The only problem was that a few girls took what he said in a serious fashion. This ended up with his school being on lock down and he almost being arrested. I know that in his mind this was all a harmless game that everyone plays at time. The end result was seeing his dad struggle with having to follow through with what seemed to be a nightmare. It required meeting with an attorney and ultimately having a probation officer follow him for the next 4 months. The end result was that he was cleared of his offense, which could have been a felony and is now given an opportunity to help others make better choices.

Yesterday was an incredible day for me as I watched my teen become an agent of grace that showed another younger guy how to make better life choices. My teen was able to hang out with this younger guy and share with him how doing ‘dumb’ stuff isn’t cool and ultimately hurts those who love you the most and don’t deserve all of this grief and heartache. This young guy had done something that could see him in Juvenile Detention. It will cause his mom, dad and stepmom a lot of grief. I’m not sure if her realized the serious of what he did but my teen has helped him see the choice of two paths before him and the end result of both paths.

My teen helped him see that the pressure of gang influence isn’t good even though it feels like you have a family and that everyone cares for you. The reality is that gangs are selfishly using you to get what they want whether that be stealing something or hurting someone. The end result is horrible for everyone involved and the unfortunate reality is that too often someone totally removed from the situation is hurt or killed!


Yes, I am proud of my spiritual grandson who after 5 years is showing the impact of having a group of adults love him, push him, shape him and event at times scream at him has produced life changing results. I know that I could have talked with this young guy but wouldn’t have been able to speak into his heart. My teen, who has been there and done that, was able to connect in a real life way. I love you son – grandson!! Keep up the hard work of staying on the life-giving path. I know that it isn’t easy with all of the temptations around you but as you help others it will re-enforce all that you have learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment