Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Dave's special friends




I have been blessed over the last year with some special friends through our painting projects. My dream at New City is to connect with people who are typically forgotten or marginalized. This last year I have been given a heart for Ramona, a 70 year old Hispanic grandma who has renal failure and must do dialysis three times a week, Mr. Sanchez an 81 year old widower who presently is in an ICU with renal and cardiac problems and Art Carter who is 65 and wheel chair bound because of having a stroke five years ago. God has taught me much about listening and observing as I visit these friends on a weekly basis. I usually just drop in and either bring them lunch, fruit or something wicked like donuts. I know at first they must of thought I was crazy. Why would some yuppy looking pastor continue to bang on our doors. During this time I have become good friends with all of them I as seek to connect them with other people who can help them, i.e. Art needed some attorney help so Rhonda appears, Ramona and Art both need new evaporative cooling units and a David Grounds appears on the scene.

What excites me is to see how my 'kids' from the different things we do have a love and interest in my special friends. I attempt to bring them with me to love on these different seniors to help them see how important it is to respect our elders but to learn and laugh with all of them. It is true that Mr. Sanchez has read through the Bible I gave him a year ago but also at times has a foul mouth as he reacts to the stupidity of people around him. Art has gone from someone who would swear at God and deny his existence to a seeker who is generally interested in listening and learning.

So what's the point with my rambling?? Some day all of us will get old and might end up without any family or friends. There is an obvious path to pursue that will help us engage with a larger family - the church that could both be helped by our partnership and we would definitely benefit from some attention and tlc. Mr. Sanchez was willing to donate a slightly used evaporative unit to help Ramona not swelter in the summer. A small step but truly an act of compassion. Jesus did come to touch the lost, the last and the least. These will be the ones in heaven in the 'front rows' of the kingdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment