Saturday, August 1, 2009

The Battle


The Battle

I know that when we first moved into the ‘hood’ or inner city that I had this vague notion that the gospel was like some magic pill that when given out generously would bring out about instant transformation. Little did I know that after living here for 2 years I would see that it takes time, prayer, patience, the Spirit at work, huge effort on our part for lives to be turned around and the enemy to be put aside. As I was driving with one of my kids it dawned on me, dah, most of these kids, teens and adults have been raised in a world that is void of fathers and a real understanding of Jesus Christ and God. No wonder they are at war for their own turf and identity.

I took a group of teens skating from our different projects we are doing and found myself in the middle of a catfight between two gals. The challenge is that I really like both of these girls. I didn’t see the initial foray between these two but intervened in the middle of shouts and almost punches being exchanged. The good thing was that the rink was loud enough that only a few noticed the incident. I feebly attempted to talk with each of the gals to explain that it was much wiser to walk away and forgive then to exchange blows. I don’t think I got my point across. What I did realize was that I had spent enough time with both of them that they understood what I was saying but it was just that they had been taught from birth to not walk away from a fight unless they won. I was promoting losing and not worrying about what the original point of the battle was about. Yeah, they have been told two wrongs never make a right but to win feels so good.

I have spent a lot of time over the last three years thinking through and praying about reconciliation, grace and mercy. As I dialogued with the one gal as we were driving it was easy to discuss this when you aren’t in the middle of a battle over who is the queen bee. I am learning that God’s call in my life is to be an ambassador who continues to throw out at everyone the invitation to be reconciled to God and one another. This is something that is easy to say but requires a supernatural act of God for it to become a reality. The reality is that few want to be broken or humbled whether you live in yuppies’ suburban neighborhoods or in the urban center. I too am rebellious when someone tells me that I’ve got it all wrong. It is real work to stand up against the evil that is so prevalent because it is much easier to just walk away and let the enemy win.

I do sense that both Jesus and Paul had their moments when they were frustrated with their disciples and were ready to ‘shoot’ them for being so ‘brain dead’. I continually need the reminder that I am not any different from anyone else when it comes to understanding grace and then being one who hands out grace and mercy instead of wanting to get even. I am afraid that I will be in the middle of many more cat or dog fights both between youth and also adults. I am learning that listening and being around people helps you understand their circumstances and also gives you opportunity to love them right where they are.

dave

No comments:

Post a Comment