Friday, February 11, 2011

Making Up is Hard to Do!

I have an interesting life in that I relate back to a very diverse community of individuals. I can be talking to one of my church partners who lives in Scottsdale and then the next minute be relating back to a young mom on welfare who is facing a court sentencing. I am blessed to have friends who are behind the scene community activists. I am spoiled to have a few grandmas who are adventurous and even come with us on snow trips or hang out at my house in the midst of a loud superbowl party where you here yellow and black being screamed out.

I also live in a world where feelings are worn out in the open and kids, teens and adults act on things that ultimately can bring hurt and pain to others. I have watched fights erupt over stray dogs, someone being called chicken legs or being accused of being racist by wiping my hands off after shaking the hands of an African American aunt of one of my teens. I tire of being judged for something crazy and then the end result is that one of my ‘kids’ can no longer attend our events or be part of our family.

I have been around people with real life issues that few have the ability to understand and forget trying to help or love on. I am beginning to see that reconciliation and making amends is easy to verbalize but almost impossible to pull off. I totally believe that unless God is part of this type of scenario it is not going to happen. I have little desire to play the game of armchair shrink. I know my tendency is to dive into almost anything. I am seeing my limits and realization that there are some settings that are best left alone and humbly confession that this isn’t for me.

I was born into the hippy drug era of the 60’s. I had a little exposure to the impact of excessive life choices. I did drugs for a short time but have a brother that was ‘sucked’ into the pot world and have seen the results of trying to walk away from addictive situations. So I am not a stranger to being around people that are on the edge. This isn’t to say that I understand them or can relate to them but desire to be available to listen and learn together.

I am learning that it is ok to say no at times to people who I don’t have the emotional energy to weather. This is tough for me to do but I am discovering that it is wise at times and spiritually healthy to let go. So as I go to a breakfast to make amends with someone I don’t understand I will again me reminded how life is a gift from God and that ultimately only our Heavenly Father is the one who mends, restores and reconciles relationships.

No comments:

Post a Comment