Thursday, April 28, 2011

Busted?

I was rather impressed or taken back by one of my teens who asked if she could sit in the front seat of the van so she could talk with me. I had no idea what was going to unfold. So after a normal Tuesday night of great food, some chaos and an interesting discussion on Stuff Happens we end up driving everyone home.

As we drop off most of the kids with a detour that turns out to be a road rage murder I let this teen transition to the front seat. She proceeds to tell me about getting in trouble at school for something that isn't ok - smoking dope. Her teacher and then the principal get her attention by explaining that if she was really involved with this then she will be suspended or expelled from school.

This teen was so paranoid that her parents would find out. So when her dad and mom show up at school that same day she knows that she is in big trouble. I know that it is easy to always shift the blame to someone else. So I asked her who else was involved. Then she rattled off three young teens who I know and now am concerned about how peer pressure pushes us to do crazy stuff.

The dad decides to have her drug trusted to make sure that her answer about being clean is actually true. So the tension of waiting for the results which if this teen is clean isn't a big deal if the teen is guilty then the results will mean the teen is in trouble. The reality is whether the teen is clean or dirty this individual has chosen to hang out with the wrong group. We talked about how to be a positive influence that steers your peers away from doing drugs, alcohol or sex. The response was that it is so hard to do this because there is so much pressure to be like everyone else.

I now put on my 'dad' or 'father' hat and talk in an open and honest way. She is very open and responsive. I talked about how her mom and dad usually respond to her and how she can reach back to them to help them see her heart in the matter which should be one of repenting or honestly confessing that she blew it big time and does deserve to be kicked out of school.

The tests come back negative which shouldn't be a surprise if the teen is clean but it can always be a wake up call. The dad is the one who gives her the results and now knows that his daughter has been honest but made some rather foolish choices to hang out with friends who are doing some bad stuff. I know that this can happen again but hopefully our van ride discussion will have an impact and the gospel will continue to get into her heart.

I am so thankful that she opened up. I know this wouldn't have happened if we hadn't been doing Tuesday night dinner and discussions.

No comments:

Post a Comment