Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Life is Saying Hi and Bye


Yesterday we had breakfast with some great friends who we have had the privilege of watching court and then get married. They have been instrumental in the lives of many of our youth in significant ways. I can’t fathom that Brit has time to still be concerned about one of our youth that isn’t enrolled in school yet. It has been very difficult to fathom that these special friends are moving to St. Louis and won’t be around much. I can remember how both got involved with our tutoring program and eventually became a couple. I will also always remember, our breakfast at Matt’s, where they made it official, yes, we are getting married.

Yesterday we welcomed a new intern, an ASU student, who is older and more mature. She is a Latina who grew up in a small Arizona town and escaped her surroundings by joining the Army and did get to see the world. She was able to be part of our Teen Leadership Group yesterday. It was so awesome to listen to her share her story about growing up in your typical first generation Hispanic home and how tough it was for her parents to accept her decision to join the military and move out.

I grew up with change being a constant factor in my life. I lived not in a couple of homes during my youth but closer to 20. I would also venture to say that as an adult I’ve lived in more than 20 houses over the years. So stability can’t be a locale or home but God, family and close friends. So the transition of having quite a few good friends that have been involved with New City – Barrio Nuevo has been tough over the last couple of years. We said good-bye to another young couple where the guy had been very involved. They are living in the ‘grad’ world at Harvard. Another awesome friend went back to school after serving in the Marine Corp and also went back to grad school to get his MBA in ‘small business’. I’m humbled that he would make his involvement with Barrio Nuevo a significant part of his LinkedIn profile!

As I sit waiting in a different Starbucks then usual I will ‘hook-up’ with a new best friend who is a real partner in doing community service work. She is a ‘local’ so she won’t be moving. Yesterday I attended a men’s lunch group that I helped start more than 15 years ago. Many of these men have become close friends over the years as they have helped paint many houses in our community with a few doing tutoring. It is such a blessing to know that God has placed some incredible people in my life.

I know that Saturday will be here almost instantly. We will get up early to walk our dogs and then go see Al and Brit. The real movers will be there with a truck load all of their worldly belongings. Brit’s mom and dad will have arrived on Friday night. They will caravan to St. Louis together with all of their vehicles, the truck and the pets, like 2 dogs and 2 cats. I don’t like saying good-bye especially with people you really care about. Yet, I know that there will be some tears and the heartache of not seeing someone for a few months. I could say that God will replace these special friends but that would be a total lie. They can’t be replaced but will wait again to reunite. 

No comments:

Post a Comment