Friday, March 15, 2013

Are guys braindead when it comes to relationships?


I was in the middle of attempting to have a romantic dinner ready for my Anne when she came back from her CPE Class at 9pm. I had gotten three calls from different people who I assume thought I was rude because I said I couldn’t talk. I had another teen that kept calling which became annoying. I had quickly gone by Fresh and Easy and picked up some great steaks, cauliflower and fruit. I knew that Anne was exhausted after doing a project all day and then had to present it in class.

Just as I’m finishing everything I get a text from a good friend who is having some struggles with his/her boy/girlfriend. I had just recently talked to this individual so I kinda new what the issues were about. I was raised in a home where my mother taught me or forced me to be a helper and thoughtful in all that I do. I’m not bragging about being the best spouse but had a great example of parents who cared for each other by being real servants.

As we texted back and forth I realized that the issues at hand were really difficult to resolve. How do you help someone who has been raised around an all-chauvinistic environment to understand that you have to put your future spouse first and be willing to work hard, even when it isn’t fun and then choose to be a neat freak when by nature you are a slob?

I know with my own kids that it isn’t any different as we grew up, as a family, it was obvious that one of my kids was an early bird and the other was a night owl. I also had an ocd neat freak and a slob for my kids. Looking back it is almost funny to see how they have all turned out since they have their own places. My one slacker kid has turned into the clean freak that finished school with perfect grades! I’m so proud  of this one. Much as I am so proud of my other kids but it has been a long journey when it comes to growing up and defining yourself by your choices and not by your environment or your parents.

I could tell as I texted to this young friend that it they were almost at a point of screaming. So I offered to have my Anne come and be a taxi so we could talk face to face. This wasn’t an option because it was too late. So I gave some guidelines or boundaries, which I knew we both agreed to and said just be very honest and specific with your boy/girl friend. Ultimately we say good night to each other and my Anne eventually arrives home about 45 minutes late.

I know it isn’t easy for most men to have the sensitivity it takes to understand their spouses or girlfriends. I’m not sure why we are wired in such a way that we expect the world to revolve around us totally. I know that picking up my clothes or taking out the trash isn’t the most important thing in the world. Yet, if I left all of my dirty clothes next to our bed I know that my Anne would ream me at some point. Just as I know that most families have pets, we have a zoo and it is wrong for me to assume that my wife will feed, clean up after and pick up the poop in the backyard for our herd. Yet, how many kids beg, plead or scream for a pet only to see mom, not dad, take care of it for the next 20 years.

My hope in the relationships I have with my guys, both little guys, teen guys and men guys is to help them see that being a servant leader with your family is the most awesome way to live! I know that among Jesus’ 12 there was always an ongoing argument about who would be the number one leader. This created much consternation among the rest of the disciples. So I know that often greatness in my neighborhood is seen in having your spouse or girlfriend serve you dinner or a beer but the real sign of servant leadership is when the guy of the house not only cooks the meal but also does the dishes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment