Saturday, March 26, 2016

Does integrity really matter anymore?

I will be the first to confess that it’s so easy to make promises and talk big but what matters isn’t what I say but what I do! I tire of people making excuses instead of doing something constructive to make a difference in the brokenness that surrounds too many people. The political banter that is filling up social media is a total waste. Just because I say I’m going to make America great doesn’t mean ‘jack’. It’s understanding another person’s life setting and acting accordingly is what potentially will make a real difference in the world around me and in my community!

I get that often in the rush to get something done and be productive many of us miss the world of the normal people around us. Honesty and truth no longer seem to matter in contrast to our position and power in life. I’m fearful that the present mindset amongst many is focused on a venom that reflects a lack of moral compass where generalizations that clearly are racist and sexist become the cultural norm. Sadly I fear for many of my Hispanic, Muslim and African American friends because of the present political banter that will illicit questionable behavior seen in someone punching a protestor to making threats on someone’s life that can ultimately see a mob mentality spread resulting in a person being murdered.

What’s really most important in life is getting 1,000’s of wows now on FB or having your latest video clip go viral on YouTube or posting a naked selfie? I clearly believe that the average person loves their family, works, cleans their house every week, attends church, pays taxes and does cares about having a moral compass and being a person of integrity. The difficulty is that the people getting the spotlight and attention are so far removed from normal life and unfortunately become the supposed norm in our great country.

My mom, who was a phenomenal person, didn’t have a college degree or a vast array of professional experience in the workplace.  She clearly raised her sons to understand that what we do in life counts and before integrity became a buzzword talked about living to the best of our ability, being honest and transparent. My mom was the real deal that would too often be frank and at times too honest but taught me that following through and being a person that keeps their word is a very important life quality! 

Yes! Integrity matters and the way this profound life message gets spread is when all of us normal people who make up our great country stop paying attention to loud mouth politicians, narcissistic celebs that have truly believe the world revolves around them! Time to discover that the way we treat the drive through cashier at our favorite fast food place actually matters. How I talk to my kids, my dog or cats will impact the world more than my last post on FB or whatever.  Thanks mom for showing me what matters most in life are family, friends, God, the workplace and an eye to help the stranger in need.


No comments:

Post a Comment