Thursday, January 12, 2017

What causes entitlement – it’s never my fault!


I think all of us get the fact that most of us are usually unwilling or slow to admit to our faults, mistakes or outright bad choices. Usually we become gifted at making excuses or blame shifting! I will always remember a ‘Scout Leader’ instructing me on the ways of when I point the finger blaming someone my other three fingers point back at ME. The difficulty is that I’m no different than the kid or teen coming out of disadvantaged circumstances when it comes to believing that I deserve preferential treatment.

Accountability always sounded like a dirty word to me as a teen and young adult. I truly believed that it meant I had to sell out to the ‘man’ and never have freedom or the ability to make my own choices. The reality as I’ve worked with at risk youth for decades and now am a senior is humbly seeing the power of being accountable first to yourself and then to a few that love you enough to speak truth into your life.

One of the real tensions in our culture is how to empower our youth to step up and own their lives. The challenge is that regardless of your family setting, rich kids can be just as quick to assume that they deserve everything as disadvantaged youth believe nothing is ever their fault. So, the missing ingredient to most youth is understanding the importance of accountability, setting goals and a willingness to listen to special friends or adults. The unfortunate reality is that too many, myself included, believe they’ve got it figured out and don’t need advice or help.

I now get that most things in life are better caught than taught. I was fortunate to have incredible parents who modeled what it meant to be responsible, honest and willing to listen as a life paradigm. I have lived around youth and young adults who have never had this type of life example and rather have been taught to find the easy way out or assume that someone else is going to pay. The difficulty is that as a kid its rather easy to persuade an adult with that smile or cute laugh to do something. Reality sets in when you’re older and the smile doesn’t cut it anymore.

One of the best lessons my parents taught me was not to buy me a car when I was in High School. I caught the life lesson from my parents to get a job in High School. I was able to save up to get my first car without any financial help from mom and dad.  I needed their help in finding a car, getting insurance and learning how to drive. The worst thing to do is give someone a car or laptop without any real ‘buy in’!

One of the challenges in helping someone not live an entitlement mindset is that it’s so much easier to do it for them than allowing them to own up and do it on their own or with a little bit of help. Empowerment requires real work on the part of the parent, mentor or friend that understands that failure is never final nor fatal. The difficult is that too many kids and teens are too afraid of failure and believe that winning is everything.

So, typically when something goes south it usually is my fault. The opportunity is to be honest, real and own up to real-life. The ultimate benefit is that I will lose my fear of failure and discover that hard work isn’t going to kill me but produce character.


No comments:

Post a Comment