Thursday, December 21, 2017

Two minds are better than one!!

One of the most amazing gifts and joys in my life is when I’m able to connect with someone who challenges both my thinking/perceptions and expands my understanding of life! I recently had lunch with a new friend who is a recent college grad. This individual had studied and worked at a think tank that does research with community development. It was a delight to both share my passion but also hear this new friend’s story.

 I was also saddened to hear of the passing of one of my professors this last week who had been very instrumental in shaping my critical thinking skills. As I have read a variety of tributes to this prolific author and lecturer it struck me that another one of my professors, same age, grew up in the same home town, yet, weren’t close and didn’t partner together. It was a bit of a shocker to hear this other professor who was instrumental in my seminary days admit that because of their different approach to apologetics they seldom worked together. I was also very taken with another friend who mentioned this one professor who was well known for his TRIADS in his classes and writings. (Triperspectivalism)

I had a delightful conversation with an old friend from the 80’s last night that brought to the forefront again that synergism is a very powerful tool hopefully for good. It distresses me that our present political system is afraid of having bipartisan discussions. I can’t fathom that it isn’t possible to have many great minds come together, yes iron sharpens iron and can ‘hammer’ out an immigration plan, tax plan or a well thought out approach to funding our government. Instead, we face another shut down of the government that is tragically a byproduct of the unwillingness of those in power with differing paradigms to work together and compromise.

One of the incredible gifts in my life is to have a super intelligent wife of 44 years that is willing to listen, humble me and often encourage me to continue to be a life learner and critical thinker. I understand that many in the ‘know’ truly believe that their approach to life is obviously the only way to make the world a better place to live. The opportunity that is before us is to be more willing to learn from those around us that are very different and be humble enough to consider another way. Is it possible to work together with someone that clearly is your equal but has a differing solution to the ills of the world?

Solomon, one of the early Kings of Israel, was given the opportunity to receive a gift from the Lord. His choice wasn’t wealth or frame but the gift of wisdom. He is the one who highlights the fact two can keep each other warm and that a strand of three ropes is so much stronger than a strand of one. Yet, the tragedy over the centuries is that too often most prefer the strand of one instead of a willingness to admit that I benefit from your brain power to help me be a better person and help the world improve!



No comments:

Post a Comment