Monday, January 1, 2018

New Year is for the young to learn from the old!

New Years is so much more than whether Mariah ‘bombed’ or Ms. Spears goes out in glory in Vegas. Often, we talk too much about starting over or giving it another shot instead of thinking about finishing well! Yesterday I had the privilege of being with old friends, remember I’m old now also as they celebrated the era of a church that was closing after 30 years. I know it’s so easy to brag about new year resolutions, which is important to consider but what’s more important is what you did yesterday and how that impacts today.

What has touched me so much about this group of friends is their ability to care about others in such a way that they make you feel special and loved! What’s so amazing is that this group has chosen to give away the assets from the sale of their building to impact the future for others that share their passions! Please don’t misunderstand this isn’t about money but a glance into another’s heart and how they have left a legacy for others to follow.

This week I was also able to love on a few of my grandma friends by giving them a ham or a turkey. What again struck me is how much a blessing it is to hear someone not only say thank you but actually show their heart in how they choose to live. It’s so easy for the youth of today, who will be the seniors of the future to treat the elderly as if they don’t exist.

As I listened to a few of my friends weep as they shared the journey of their church together it touched my heart because I had been impacted by a small group of Christ followers who walked their talk and finished well! This past year sadly has been about big names finally being held accountable for their abusing and hurting those underneath them. Instead, I listened to a pastor friend reflect on rather simple advice for the new year and how we treat those close to us and even those we don’t like.


I life reflecting on the words of King Solomon who asked for the gift of wisdom when he talked about their being a time for everything. A time to be born and also a time to die. I have learned so much from these friends about finishing the journey well. I know that their pastor will hear the great Shepherd say to him that his flock finished well!

No comments:

Post a Comment