Thursday, February 1, 2018

Time is the most amazing gift in life! Spend time with a kid and change the world!

 It’s amazing that everyone regardless of age, gender, social economic circumstances and race have the same twenty-four hours in a day. How each of us choose to use those 1440 minutes in a day will determine the course of the world and the health of our families and communities. I believe that one of the most important uses of our time, isn’t playing video games or watching sports by yourself but intentionally spending time with a kid or teen.

It’s rather sobering to realize how many hours a day we spend focused on our iPhones or Androids every day. Imagine the impact in a child’s life if a mom, dad, friend or volunteer tutor were put to put down their electronic device and use that time to teach a child and fellow adult to read? So, what stops me and you from rethinking our use of time?

One of the great opportunities we have in life is to rise above the status quo and intentionally be someone that gives without expecting accolades or rewards. Last night at our tutoring program I have a new friend come and sit for an hour with one of my barrio kids. What’s so incredible is that my friend came with intentionality, passion and kept one of my kiddos who can’t read captivated for an hour with a BOOK. I know that my friend truly touched my little gal last night.

What will it take for you to be better at time management and be motivated to impact the life of a kid, teen or adult who doesn’t know how to read? I know that seeing a child, teen or adult struggle to read touched my heart and soul. What happened to allow time to slip by where my little friend hasn’t learned how to read? Instead of blaming or shaming someone choose to step up and walk alongside the life of that little person or adult and invest the energy that is required to walk with them.

I know that the stock market is breaking records at present and that the tax cut will impact many still doesn’t address the inequality of those that can read vs those that can’t read. The excitement of watching a kid read a book or an adult a novel will transform that child or adult’s ability to think and dream about their lives!

Change the world by helping a kid or adult learn how to read!



No comments:

Post a Comment