Friday, December 9, 2016

Be kind instead of being a ‘jerk’!


 This last week as I’m sitting at my Starbucks writing I watch this generous woman step in between three police officers and pay for their drinks and food. (Trust me this wasn’t the dollar menu at McDonalds!) I was initially shamed because I had thought of doing it but instead sat there and did nothing that is almost the same as being a jerk! Why is it the case today that most are so quick to fly off the handle and say something that leaves someone hurting instead of showing kindness?

I know that most mothers in my day taught their kids to zip it if you have nothing to say that is nice. My mom also re-enforced to me daily that it was so much better to show kindness to everyone instead of being stingy or selfish. Why is it so common today that most kids are rather slow to say please and thank you? I know that thankfulness is something that is both taught and caught! I have memories of my dad giving me the death look if I didn’t say the ‘magic ‘ words!

Imagine how much better Christmas or if you are PC Holiday season would be if everyone slowed down and showed kindness? This would equate to not being in a rush in traffic that isn’t the best for starters and then instead of shoving or pushing to get into the best line for check out slow down and let the grandma go ahead of you! It always surprises me when I’m checking out at a grocery store and have a mega order and let the guy behind me go ahead who has 3 items. I do usually hear a big thank you!

Bigger picture is to imagine what would happen if we actually listened to our spouse, friend or workmate instead of planning our next ‘jab’. I’m always amazed that I actually can learn so much if I choose to engage in a conversation instead of thinking that I’m the know it all! Trust me it isn’t necessarily easy because I still at times think that I know it all and need to enlighten my circle.

I still have ringing in my ears during the Christmas season the annoying voice of George Costanza’s dad from Seinfeld screaming out Serenity now as the one who crafted Festivus as the alternative to Christmas. What would happen if we did actually practice kindness as a daily routine? It just might be the case that peace, friendship and loving kindness could rise to the top instead of assuming the worse of everyone! My mom would always remind me to look for the good in someone and not be into throwing dirt!

Clearly most of us have heard that our incredible Creator gave us two ears and just one mouth for obvious reasons. The difficulty is that we always put our mouths into overdrive and forget that we have built in stereo.

 Celebrate the real meaning of Christmas as God has shown us the most kindness in sending his son who choose to be the quiet one that didn’t complain when he was punished for my sins and yours!


Merry Christmas

No comments:

Post a Comment