Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Does nonsense dictate your life?


Many make the assumption that with old age comes wisdom? A quick read through Solomon’s essay on life in Ecclesiastes would give credence to the fact that even though this King of Israel had received a special gift of wisdom that his later life didn’t reflect this wisdom. Too often nonsense would seem to be what persuades us to make foolish choices that later come back to haunt us! Many today would be jealous or envious of the wealth and opulence of the president-elect but this King could boast of hundreds of wives and way too many girlfriends. Clearly this type of lifestyle impacted not just the King’s life but the life of a nation.

We live in a time driven culture where some live or die by the clock and being productive. I live around some that would seem to believe that nothing is ever important enough to make an effort or show little concern about being punctual. So, what determines whether we allow nonsense to rule us, the clock to drive us or being practical with learning more through life’s ups and downs. I agree that being older does mean that I have more life experience than the millennial who just served me my coffee. Yet, this doesn’t necessarily equate to me being smarter than my Barista!

There has been a wave of what's called ‘Fake news’ being propagated over this past election cycle. It was rather fascinating to listen to an interview with someone who has been doing this for the last 5 years. When challenged about reporting the truth he pivoted and talked more about his work being satire and ultimately not much different from CNN or FOX news. Clearly the individual doing the interview took the ‘Fake News’ guy to task. Yet, the truth of the matter is that too many have allowed this nonsense to become the truth for them. Why or how is it possible that someone can believe something that is so far out? Yet, over the last year some would say that a national election was largely determined by ‘Fake News’ and leaked e-mails that weren’t verified as to being genuine.

If anything, my old age should humble me to the point that I’m more willing to be real or honest about what I don’t know, understand or can’t do the same as when I was a twenty something! Yet, as someone complimented me on my gray hair I was again taken back by how many still believe that the color of my hair makes me smarter or wiser?

So, one of my New Year’s goal is to not waste time on nonsense or fake news but be more willing to fact check or look at Ecclesiastes to see the difference between being wise or being foolish! This translates for me to be more willing to listen to my Barista then assuming that I’ve arrived.



No comments:

Post a Comment