Saturday, December 31, 2016

There are no DEADLINES for giving or helping!

As the clock ticks past 12:01 tonight and we celebrate the coming New Year you will have been barraged by an ongoing collection of e-mails and social media posts for nonprofits and churches about yearend giving. Don’t get me wrong I very much appreciated the 85 -year-old grandma whose daughter suggested she give to New City – Barrio Nuevo that precipitated a call yesterday. The opportunity is to see that each day has a deadline that you are called to step up and be a giver and helper not just for a tax break but because it is the right thing to do not just during the Christmas rush but every day of the year.

Christmas Eve saw over 60 plus friends gather at our house to prepare food, sort clothing and put together hygiene product bags for our homeless friends. What struck me about my assortment of friends is that all of them truly care about being givers who have a passion to help those that aren’t doing great. This has become a Christmas Eve tradition at our house over the last 8 years. It’s a priority for many within our circle.

I would love to be the recipient of a matching grant or the AZ State tax credit for the working poor that would or will provide resources to help the ‘working poor’ get a ‘hand up’. What truly blessed me was a good friend that gave me resources to help a few families that are struggling but headed in the right direction. It was a joy to share these gifts with a single mom who works full time at my Starbucks or another mom whose husband was severely injured on the job.

One of the greatest resolutions or commitments for the New Year is to choose to be a person that is quicker to forgive than hold a grudge or be someone that helps without having to interrogate someone or who gives not expecting anything back in return. The greatest gift I believe we can give as adults is to spend quality time with a kid or teen who comes out of tough circumstance. I had one of my 11 year olds last night text me for about 20 minutes about her frustrations but what touched me was the fact that she was willing to tell me her story in a present tense fashion and that she would listen to an old man.


Yes, if you are willing to learn about becoming a giver/helper go to our website and consider volunteering in the New Year as a tutor, mentor or someone that can help paint the house of a grandma living on a fixed income. (www.barrionuevophoenix.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment