Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Keeping your mouth shut can be your greatest accomplishment!


I will be the first to admit that at times I talk too much! Yes, it’s always easy for me to joke around with my wife and others and make the comment that women must always get their 50,000 words out before the end of the day. Men typically would rather withdraw and be cave dwellers that rattle off what they did the last 12 hours of the day in a sentence or two! Yet, I must confess that I do enjoy making a point or helping someone with a little bit of my life story.

It’ not easy to hold back and choose to listen and learn from your spouse, friend, neighbor or work associate. Yet, as I age I have concluded that everyone has the same inner moral/spiritual compass that can guide us through life! My mom would continually reinforced this to me from the cradle to her last day with me. She was my parent that was the talker in the family, yet, she would say often that if you didn’t have something nice and beneficial to say than don’t say anything.

I spent a couple of hours on the phone helping a new friend with assessing her situation and coming up with a potential plan. Clearly she assumed that I was the seasoned experienced worker in the context of her work and possibly might have the answers for her. After having read her work experience and listening to her passion I was quick to say that she had lots of experience and most likely already knew the answers to her questions. I was quick to express that I would learn just as much from her as she might learn from me. The old me most likely would have thoroughly loved being perceived as the expert that ‘God had sent’ to solve her problems and give quick answers to her questions.

I admit at times it can be difficult to accept the fact that the universe will continue to exist whether I open my mouth! I confess to the fact that I wasn’t with the Almighty God at the beginning to give Him my expert advice and counsel. So why is it the case that most of us continue to truly believe that the world around us can’t function without our long-winded advice? Imagine what would happen if we paid attention to those around us instead of being too quick to insert our dribble? I know that it isn’t easy for anyone to politely tell me enough said or more pointedly to ‘shut’ up.

So, is it possible to say less and say more?









No comments:

Post a Comment