Thursday, May 12, 2011

Momentum

As I was somewhat apprehensive to go up to a Fire Station and ask them to come to our big event on May 21. Yet, I park my truck and walk over to the open door with the Fire Truck in full view. A fireman was just walking around the corner so I introduce myself and give him the flyer. He gives me a great look and seems open and interested in helping out. He finds another friend who will be on duty that day. We talk and I give him my card and flyer. I will follow up next week to make sure his captain is there.

As we finishing a cycle of tutoring it struck me how God has brought some incredible helpers both young and old. As I ask Lou, one of my 'grandpa' types, about the summer time he is open and excited to work with little kids. I know that Roger and Art also would jump on board. I am grateful that Brandon and Jasmine are great tutors and really love by the kids. They are graduating from ASU but have committed to help out in the summer time. I know that my Starbucks addiction can be criticized by many but my choice to hang out and be around the crowds has helped me. Joseph, the manager of my 'bucks' has become a great friend. We are doing this community event together that is slowly coming together. It will be interesting to see how many come that day and how many of my group come and help.

As I look at the little people God has used to teach me so much they become big in my eyes because they continue love, reach back and be available all of the time. It isn't easy to go back to some of those that are on the sidelines and continue to dialogue to pull them back into service. As one of our more wild child type sneaks over on occasion I have to remind her and her sister that their grandpa is at war with us. He is jealous of the fact that his grandkids would rather be with me than him. He has made some crazy accusations that are totally unfounded and just 'stupid' yet I tell the girls go back and talk to your mom - please.

As I drive for an hour to pick up paint I am reminded how powerful relationships happen to be as with Gary and Brad. They have made our painting projects a true success. It all came back to making a mess and allowing someone else to help clean up! Yeah, it isn't easy to admit that I need help but I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment