Thursday, July 21, 2011

Loving Crazies?

I have taken a break from writing primarily because we had our June filled with urban mission teams and a busy summer schedule for our New City teens and families. As the summer comes to a finish I want to reflect on what I am learning and some of the interesting people God has brought across my path.

I am slowly learning not to let my temper totally control, even in circumstances that might warrant me screaming at someone. Over the last year I have had a run in with one of my teen’s grandpa. I understand that the ‘race’ thing and circumstances make it impossible for grandpa to understand me and not react to the help and loving we have showered on his grand daughters. My tolerance for loud foul language is pretty much history and I am attempting to come up with creative ways to deal with people who show their ignorance by using F bombs. So why would an older African American Grandpa scream expletives at me and accuse me of crazy things? I know that my only encounter with him, almost a year ago, was helping out his granddaughters with a ride to school and money for lunch. How could this push someone over the edge?

So as I went to pick up these teens for church I was taken back when he grabbed one of his granddaughters, screamed at her, shook her and then exploded at me. What do I do? I considered getting out of my van and looking at him eyeball to eyeball only knowing that he would probably swing at me and I would have to defend myself. So instead I talked loudly back at him about the horrible example he was giving between slapping his granddaughter and his foul mouth. Obviously he wasn’t impressed with my come back and I drove off rather upset and shaken. I can see why revenge is the name of the game in the hood. I want to come back later and give him a screaming and slapping so he would stop his horrible treatment of some of my teens. Yet, I knew that this would do any good and ultimately would hurt these teens.

A week ago I received a call from a couple that were relocating from Nebraska. I had a FB message from one of their friends who was also a good friend. As we talked on the phone I could understand that they were in a tough situation. They came out so the man could be with his mom who was dying of cancer. He, unfortunately, has a criminal past that makes it difficult for him to go anywhere or get a job. So as I talked mostly with his wife I tried to guide them to some friends who had more experience with people living on the street and living in the midst of crisis. I picked them up from their cheap hotel that cost them $70. We loaded all of their life belongings into the back of my truck. The smell of stale tobacco was apparent on all of the bags, suitcases and boxes we loaded into the truck.

I had agreed to take them to a rental place to get help looking for an inexpensive apartment. I had told them that they should first connect with a few of my friends who are involved with the homeless. After a long day, which I provided them lunch, they end up meeting with my friends and spend another night in a cheap hotel. They are introduced to someone that has a discipleship based program about an hour outside of Phoenix. They make what I think is a hasty decision and go with him. I haven’t heard back from them in a week now.

I am better understanding grace as I experience from my God with being able to find a rental house, Anne getting a job and our house now having a buyer. I so much want my teens and adults to understand that being a giver and helper is God’s heart and that being a taker will ultimately dishonor God and get you into trouble.

So I do expect my phone to ring, get a FB message or an e-mail about someone else who needs assistance and I will have another opportunity to show God’s amazing grace and mercy. I am blessed to have so many amazing friends who make life so rich and adventurous!

No comments:

Post a Comment