Monday, July 25, 2011

Unglued?

I know that man is an emotional creature that it times can have a total meltdown. I know I should be surprised when someone comes unglued but I do. I am always trying to figure out the 'why' of what happened. I am also quick to think it was something I have done that has caused someone else's disaster.

I can't fathom what was going through the mind of this man that killed over 90 youth at this youth camp on an island outside of Norway. What could have overcome or gripped this man that he could follow through with cold blooded murder. He actually dressed up like a policeman to make these teens feels safe and secure and then turned on them in a merciless fashion.

I know that living in the hood means that there will always be different types of drama taking place between different groups of people regardless of their age. I have seen it all after living here for 5 years. I can't fathom that having someone pull in front of you is worthing of being shot at and killed or that sudden glance when looking to turn ends up with a car following you wanting to jump out and beat you up. Then theres the fight over a girlfriend, gang turf or whatever that sees someone murdered for no real reason at all.

The sad thing is that often the people hurt or killed had nothing to do with what was happening. I had one of my teens last night literally come unglued. The challenge for me was that she isn't this type of person. I know the specific individuals who can and will purposely come unglued on purpose to show off their vocal chords. This young gal had never been this way before. I do struggle with know what to do with a girl who has tears streaming down her cheeks. So as I am driving and look back I notice that she is crying and has her phone next to her. I ask the obvious and get no real response. I ask another youth sitting next to her what happened and his response with the same??

So after we enjoy some pizza and get ready for a birthday cake the family of this gal pull up. I am suddenly confronted by the older sister who is rightfully wanting to protect her little sister. I become the focus of the hurt and have someone screaming at me now eyeball to eyeball. I attempt to assure the sister that nothing really happened and then her sister had a meltdown which doesn't seem to have a cause. She is ready to fight me and doesn't want to hear that type of answer. I again try to reassure her that I am concerned for her sister and want to find out what really happened.

Just as we are in the midst of the battle the mom and dad show up in their SUV. Now I am really in trouble or at least that is what I think. I walk over to talk with the dad. He knows who I am but we have never actually talked before. I explain what I saw happen. I then said that someone has seen the same thing. As I look at this young gal in the back of her parent's SUV she is totally out of control. What happened? Who caused this? And why is she unable to get it together. As the evening finishes she is gone but my heart breaks knowing that something did happen. I might not see her or talk with her for a week or so. I have asked a few others to try to contact her.

Why do people come unglued so easily? I can see when a loved one is killed in a senseless fashion but that didn't happen? I also know that we live in a broken world where it doesn't take much for someone to hit the edge and go bananas. What did I learn from this, be more observant, be more ready for attacks - ouch and be better at being sensitive to someone who is hurting and on the edge of collapse.

No comments:

Post a Comment