Monday, August 1, 2011

Emergencies

Why is it always the case that emergencies always happen late at night when the last thing you want to do is go off into the dark? Last night after church was no different. It was actually raining and monsooning when I had to go to our new house to make sure the windows were closed. I had to leave a key for the cleaning crew to get our house ready for our move. I took Freckles with me and she seemed to enjoy the wind and the rain. The new house I know was somewhat of a puzzle for her.

Just as I return and we are watching, which I still can’t believe, Mall Cop. The phone rings and someone is in tears because their dog is dying. This wasn’t a surprise because a car had hit the dog a few days ago. I’m not sure why this individual waited until 10:30PM on a Sunday night. There really wasn’t much we could do for the poor little dog. It was infected and had been living underneath a car so it was filthy dirty.

My amazing wife rises to the occasion to make sure this little canine no longer suffers. So she takes off around 10:45 to return home around 1:30. It is always a puzzle to me why this plea for help wasn’t on Saturday in the morning or the day before. After my Anne leaves, yes I stayed home. I had two other texts from teens that had emergencies. One of them sent me a pic of an IV in her arm. She had a severe migraine headache, which required her grandma to take her to the ER. Her brother had hit another teen in the head. As to whether it was an accident or not will be figured out later. All of them came home like 2AM in the morning.

I am glad that God isn’t selfish about his time or schedule. Yet, most of us take little thought on making demands of those around us who usually step up and help regardless of time or day. I did react to a text asking for help digging a grave for this little dog. I did drop off a shovel and pick. The one who was responsible for this tragedy needs to dig the grave to be reminded that all life has value and that we need to be more caring and aware of our pets that are precious gifts from God.

It was an emotional night for many, as they had to take action so their kid or pet would get help. Yes, I have dug many graves in my backyard for our beloved pet friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment