Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Prodigal Cat

I do have some comprehension that when God created the heavens and earth He did choose to create cats. As a child growing up I was raised in a cat hating home. My mom had a strong dislike for cats. It’s not that I was raised to be a dog lover or worshiper but that is who I have become. I do know that God’s majestic creativity is seen in His creation. Yes, cats – gatos are included in this group. So you must understand that I have had cats imposed in my life my house over the last 38 years. I have been willing to provide the means for these felines to exist. Yet, I would still rather be a cat free zone.

We moved a little over a week ago. I knew that moving our dogs wouldn’t be a big deal. We have a similar house with a great backyard. They aren’t going to take off and get lost. Yet, I knew deep down inside that if Nash Cat were let out that she would be gone. It’s a new neighborhood and is too close to South Mountain, which equates to coyotes, wild beasts and the challenge for a declawed cat to survive.

I know that at times I can be insensitive about cats in our household or towards my wife or son. So after being in our new home just a couple of days Anne decided to let Nash out. Our new backyard is very different. There is a very high wall in the back, like 20 feet tall and then large dogs on one side of our yard and yapper dogs on the other side. So I knew that there was a good chance that night would be Nash free.

I was the first one to remind Anne as we are moving and still unpacking that Nash didn’t show up. Then I motivated her and more so my son to get me a pic of Nash so I could make flyers. We needed to look for Nash and not let our new neighbors think we are totally irresponsible.

I had given up hope, I do believe in the power of God, but cats left outside in Arizona summer temps and stray dogs become a statistic. So as I am driving around to pick up our teens for our Tuesday night mentoring I get a call from a neighbor saying he had seen Nash. The gentleman lived just a street above us. I call him back and discover that Nash is still alive. I quickly call Sammy, one of my teens, do ask Kris to drive around and look for the cat. Anne comes home and does a drive around but no cat.

After we finish our typical Tuesday night we are back home and finished cleaning up around 10:30. Anne takes off with some water and food. I truly didn’t expect Anne to come home with Nash Cat. I was shocked along with the peros in our casa. I was shocked that Nash seemed to be ok and clearly had been feed. She drank like a gallon of water but was no worse for wear. How was it possible that Nash could be so close to our home and not find us? I thought cats had perfect sense of directions and smell?

As we got ready for bed I knew my Anne could sleep at last knowing that Nash was safe and sound. The prodigal had been found. The question is whether the prodigal will choose to stay home and not escape. I’m still not thrilled with cats but I am thankful to my God that she came home.

No comments:

Post a Comment