Tuesday, March 18, 2014

My Best Friend!

I think one of the ultimate gifts in life is having a best friend – life partner. I have been given the best gift from God in my amazing wife – Anne. The test of time is one way to see whether a person truly loves you regardless of what is in front of you or is in life’s rear view mirror. It is tragic that so many marriages end up in court where two lives that were joined together are now nothing more than roommates that have become enemies.

The key ingredient for a life long friendship is a tough one to unfold. It requires both parties to be willing to put aside their personal wants to see the needs of their partner. The challenge is that too often I’m more concerned about getting my way at the expense of my Anne. I believe that once someone discovers the beauty of giving for your partner that it is no longer a sacrifice but a delight. As I seek to please my Anne it is incredible how my needs and wants are met through her loving response.

I will be the first to admit that it is so easy to grow apart as you become busy with career, family, church and friends. I admit that I take advantage of my Anne and assume that she will be there for me even when I don’t deserve it. It requires reflection and honesty to be willing to clean up your mess, listen instead of talk or for us guys to be willing to tune in instead of tuning out. The beauty of a growing relationship is that you learn through real communication that when life is shared together it benefits everyone. I admit that I’m not always open to sharing about my day after dealing with someone’s messy life or feeling weepy because of remembering something about my dad or mom who are now gone. Yet, as I do it I see the benefit of allowing my heart to be open and receive from my Anne.


Yes, it can be rather scary that you get to the point that you can finish each other sentences or really know what makes the other person tick. It takes a lot of effort to keep a healthy relationship going so don’t be afraid of rough times because they will ultimately help you grow together. Thanks to my Anne for being there as I have walked through sad times with my mom’s struggle with cancer for a decade and more recently my dad’s battle with dementia for 8 years. I miss my parents deeply and my Anne helps me at times when I am close to loosing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment