Thursday, March 13, 2014

Oh Really Type of Day!

I had one of those types of days yesterday that I could hardly believe some of the crazy things that happened. I can persevere through doing my part in being diligent even if it means having to gather information so I have my ducks in a row. I can answer questions that border on tedious but what I struggle with is having someone scream at me with every other word ending with YOU.

I’m learning so much about living in a multiethnic and cultural community over the last 7 years. I pull up to get gas at a Circle K and one of the Uncles of some of my wild teens goes out of his way to love on our interns and me. He totally gets the race issue between Whites, Blacks and Hispanics. We talked while our vehicles were getting filled. This was actually one of the more refreshing moments of my day. I sensed confirmation that we are doing it right – God’s way.

I spend too much of my time playing taxi for my kids and teens. I always shudder to think about how much we spend on gas and how many miles my truck and vans have on them. Yet, it is during this drive time that I always have an opportunity to listen and hear into the heart of a kid or teen. I actually look forward to picking up my group for tutoring especially. So as I hear about the aspirations of one of my 8th graders, she wants to be in the FBI. I chuckle to myself but her first goal, she laid out four life goals, was to get her parents the proper immigration status and then go to ASU and get her degree and become a FBI agent.

It always amazes me how forming a relationship with a kid who typically has been ignored or left out by his family will bear fruit. It might not be what the typical educator expects but for us it’s seeing into a kid and a teen’s heart. They are thinking about life and bigger issues albeit by a different approach than an old guy like me. I’m thrilled to see one of my little guys actually go out of his way to give one of our interns a hug and a big thank you for her part in his life.

What I didn’t expect yesterday was to have a big guy stand in the middle of the street while I’m sitting in the van and scream at me using low life language. He was totally losing it because the kids his girl friend has are always leaving his house a mess. It appeared as if it was my fault that him and their mom were never home, didn’t give much if any quality time with these kids or realize that the kids aren’t the care taker of the house. It was sad to see them attack the grandma who has faithfully stood by her granddaughter regardless of her poor choices, which ultimately impact her kids that range in age from 2 to 11.

I’ve learned that it is a waste of time and rather dangerous to verbally engage in this type of free for all. Yeah, I could have argued with both of them but knew that it would only end up with the potential of either me or the grandma getting hit by one of them. So I explained that I couldn’t talk any more and had to leave to arrive at tutoring on time. So I get a text latter from the mom who seems to change phones every other week saying we needed to talk. I know this is code for her saying she’s mad at me but realizes that her kids need us and she isn’t able or willing to be there for them.

Yeah, I was ready to not only scream yesterday but also do something crazy if pushed to the edge. I know that violence only begets violence and that foul language only becomes more gutterish as you continue. So politely walking or getting out of there was the better option. The more important issue was that I had with me the kids that were the supposed troublemakers. The sad fact is that being neat and picking up is a learned behavior taught by parents and family. It was clear, as I have been at this house that the adults are the ones at fault.


I know that I will have more what I can ‘Really’ types of days. The good news is that I know that God is able to give me a breather and reason to keep going even with the big guy screaming at me.

No comments:

Post a Comment