Thursday, April 17, 2014

Ever get called out by a kid?

I think that most of us as adults think that we are fairly adept at hiding our emotions most of the time. I’m around so many different types of adults and youth that I try not to let the emotional ‘stuff’ going on impact me too much. Yesterday as I’m driving around getting kids and teens for tutoring I have one of my more articulate 8 year olds ask me if I’m mad or something. I’m thinking to myself how did this little gal figure out that I was fuming on the inside? I thought I knew how to keep my composure?

I had received an e-mail that I had reacted to the tenure of what was said. It was all rather silly to get worked up but it wasn’t as if I was arguing with someone face-to-face. Yet, my good little friend called me out as if she could tell that I was upset and hurting. So instead of saying yeah you’re totally right I appreciate your concern I was the adult acting as if everything was cool. WRONG, I should have been honest and real with my little friend. She wasn’t balling me out but showing real concern.

Later that night one of my younger teens blew up at his foster brother and ended up being foul mouthed to one of the staff at the community center. The staff person, a good friend, told what had happened so I went back and talked with the teen. I understood what happened but explained that he couldn’t blow up and then chew out someone that is trying to help him. My friend, who has a passion for at risk youth, talked with my teen and explained how he could have handled his emotions in a better fashion.

I was proud of my younger teen that actually apologized and then listened to ways to help him deal better with his anger. I know that few of us want someone to call us out about anything. Yet, sometimes it helps us realize how we come across to others and what we might do differently the next time something happens. The truth is that we are all emotional creatures who do have feelings that do get hurt and often we react to the circumstances around us. I’m not saying it’s wrong to express yourself but to think first before you do something that might be toxic.  

As I’m writing this I get a series of texts from a good friend who is struggling with a situation where his son’s soccer team plays at a park across from his house. This is a small park in an under resourced neighborhood that is open to anyone to use. The soccer team has been playing there the last few months. Another group has appeared and decided to take over. Regardless of how nice my friend and the coach have been to this other team they have chosen not to listen or play fairly. The other coach basically told them they could settle the issue in the alley. Wow, how do you handle this situation? My friend had called the police who couldn’t do anything.

I was able to resolve my heartache over this e-mail without any type of blowing up or emotional melt down. I know that my young teen will continue to have anger issues and will need to have someone help with his outbursts. I have confidence that he will get better in time.  My friend in the park has hit a wall because the other guy is your macho type that doesn’t listen and truly believes he has the right to take over. So this will require someone else to call this guy out who eventually will have to play fairly or move to a different park.


As my day finished yesterday I was no longer feeling toxic on the inside and was able to thank my little friend for caring enough to ask the obvious question, ‘How are you doing?’ It was my choice not to respond with the truth. I hope she will do this again when she senses that I’m upset about something. Amazing what we can learn from the kids around us!

No comments:

Post a Comment