Thursday, October 8, 2015

Why does it take a tragedy to bring old friend together?

One of the more difficult lessons in life is that I’ve become too busy and consumed with the normal routine and forget to take the time on occasion to connect with old friends. Last night we had one of those unbelievable incidents occur to us. We get a text from my brother in-law about a close friend tragically killed in a mountain biking accident. All of a sudden memories of thirty years ago pop up and to be honest also a little guilt from not really connecting in the last twenty years.
I just recently reconnected with a friend from my college days who was significant in helping me discover my life passion. It again reminded me of how easy it is today to find someone and reach back over the years. So today I began a Facebook messaging campaign to find most of our friends from a youth group that we led in the 80’s where our friend was at the center. I was amazed how easy the list grew from a few to now over 50 friends from the 80’s. What’s fascinating is that we are the old people that led the group and these kids now are aging adults in their 40’s and 50’s.
What’s amazing is while listening to all of these friends share stories and pictures it made me homesick for this crazy group of then teens and now middle aged moms, dads and grandparents. I echoed the feeling of loss and the shedding of many tears today that everyone shared in their various posts. It was a wake up call that we’re all mortal and actually anything can happen to my loved ones including myself. So what lesson are we all going to take away from this sad news reunion? 
I know that most of us growing up as little kids always dreaded the yearly or bi-annual family gatherings, especially if it meant traveling far away. Yet, what stands out is this amazing group of people who share so much in common but between careers, moves, families and just the nuts and bolts of life we have all dropped the proverbial ball. So why not step back and think about different groups of friends you have had over the years and consider finding them and asking the rather simple question about how they are really doing. It’s so easy today to send pictures and video clips online. You will get a great laugh as you look at yourself from years past and hopefully renew a friendship.
It’s also a reminder to take a self-inventory and see if there are a few friends who you have left behind with broken relationships. Maybe today is a good time to seek amends or at least start the process. I will be the first to confess that it’s so funny and refreshing to see the past come back to life. So our friend’s wit, intellectual pursuits, crazy passion for saying weird things in Spanish and heart for life will stand tall in all of our memories.
We love you George and truly miss you! Our prayers go out for your Susan, mom and brother!

No comments:

Post a Comment