Monday, July 18, 2016

I am HUMAN – a response to the tragedies of the last week.


I’ve read a plethora of posts and articles online that attempt to address the ongoing issue with mankind when it comes to racism, hatred, mistrust, fear and the inability of not allowing our differences to become a motive for doing evil to one another. The voices that ring out in my mind today don’t come from a journalist, police chief or pastor but a kid and a teen! Yes, it’s possible to learn from one another if we choose to have an open mind and ears to listen.

It was during an art class that this precious little 6 year-old gal, Joi, drew a simple picture that has helped me cope. Joi very quickly drew a rainbow on one side of a paper and then on the other side a hand with 5 fingers hitting another hand. We had asked a few of the kids and teens to share their stories through art. Little Joi quickly volunteered to share her story and simply said that when she is sad she thinks of a rainbow and what it represents to her. When she is happy and life is going well she thinks of doing a high five to express her joy!

Just as powerful during our art presentations was that of a 14 year-old who has experienced prejudice, hatred and racism. She drew a picture of herself and a few of the names that she has been called, nigger, monkey, slave….. and on the bottom of her picture states ‘I am HUMAN!’ Those of us in the room were overwhelmed at the powerful expression our Carly had made about the present plight of many. I was left speechless and hurt that I had contributed a little to her sense of being less than human because of my personal biases, practices or unwillingness to speak out more.

As I read an article about the Dallas Police Chief who personally had experienced the loss of a son, brother and close working associate through violence that I could hear his plea.  His cry to his fellow humans is to transcend race, politics, religion and see the opportunity to learn from the unfortunate tragedies that shouldn’t have happened. A clear cry that violence never solves anything and that for many the numbness of the last week won’t go away too soon. 

Yet, there is hope that tomorrow can be better if I’m willing to look into my own heart and deal with my own feelings that either lead to saying something I’ll regret or being slower to react and instead learn from the voices of the kids around me. Today I’ll picture the image of a rainbow after the rains have come and freshness of the air while my little friend high 5’s me!

No comments:

Post a Comment