Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Whatever happened to please and thank you!

It’s amazing how you can have an incredible day and have a bright outlook on the world until someone ruins your day by being rude, uncaring and a jerk. So what do you allow to control your emotions? The ten great things that happen in a day or the one thing that leaves a bad taste in your mouth? Unfortunately for me I too often allow the one bad thing to overshadow the rest of my great day and the one who suffers most is my awesome wife.

I’m becoming quicker to respond to those that are rude and crude, not by attacking them but by choosing to ‘love on’ the victims of those who don’t get the importance of being thankful and expressing appreciation.  I was picking up a couple of $5 pepperoni pizzas for some little friends when I hear this customer before me DEMAND more pepper packets for his $5 pizza. I could tell as I looked at the cashier that she was taken back and was at a loss for words. So as she placed more packets into his pizza box his response wasn’t thank you but a stern look and a trite response, ‘it took you long enough!’

I had to ‘bite my tongue’ not to say something that could have erupted into a verbal match which I would have lost eventually. So instead I looked at this teen and told her a big thanks for her customer service skills. She chuckled a little as I tried to see if she was on the verge of tears. I could see how someone in her situation could have a series rude customers that would not just ruin her work day but make her feel less than human.

I know that the world at present seems on the edge of collapse as we seem to be daily confronted with the aftermath of real hatred, racism and a retaliation mindset. Most would baulk at the solution being to show kindness in return for evil? The present political scenery would seem to give the impression that the only way to overcome evil, rudeness and crudeness is by dishing out more of the same but in double doses.  So maybe I should have lashed out at the jerk that made a life or death situation out of a couple of pepper packets?

We make the daily choice as to how we respond to the circumstances around us. It’s truly tragic that social media highlights the unfortunate acts of evil to an extreme and the true heroes of our society go unnoticed and sadly their great examples are seldom noticed. Imagine what would happen if social media stopped spreading rumors, lies and gossip but instead chose to only talk and promote those that pursue the path of righteousness, grace and mercy?


Yes, today is a new day filled with great potential for great acts to rise to the top and the evil to be drowned out by the voices that are quick to say please and thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment