Monday, November 21, 2016

Time to pause!

Have you ever considered practicing the PAUSE? I have some close friends who continually ask me whether I ever slow down or take a day off. I have an incredible wife who reminds weekly to practice the Sabbath or take time to pause. I admit that too often I define my sense of self-worth by being busy and truly think that doing more is the best. Yet, as I age and celebrate my 63rd Thanksgiving I am coming to the realization that hitting the pause button or snooze on my alarm is actually a good thing!

Over the last month I have experienced real heartache as a few close friends have experienced death first hand. A friend of 25 years lost a daughter that was 22, a dad was murdered who was a good friend and then one of my special grandmas lost her sister who was 92 when she crossed the street and a driver didn’t see her. I honestly admit that I was angry with God, thugs and people in a rush. This has forced me to take a pause not on purpose but because of having my own crisis. I have joked or been a little terse to a few in my life who complain about having Vertigo. I truly believed it was all a hoax. Now I know first hand what it’s like to literally not be able to walk a straight line when I was sober.

The reality for me is that I took a week plus pause to get better, catch my breath and not take my health for granted! I know noting is ever accomplished when you rush, get angry, let circumstances stress you out and what’s best is to pause to PRAY and meditate about what’s really important in life! Today the Valley of the Sun will become the Valley of drizzle and gray clouds. There will be many that will be late to work and even be involved with a fender bender accident. The clear message posted on all of the fancy high tech signs through out the valley is leave early and slow down.

Today I will be busy doing something that is good! I’m fortunate to have amazing partner organizations that bless our families throughout the year. I will have an incredible afternoon handing out turkeys and food baskets to 50 families because of the heart of the families at Shepherd of the Desert Church in Scottsdale! These incredible friends paused to make a shopping list of food items for my kids, teens, single moms and grandmas. It’s amazing what can happen when you pause with a purpose!

Happy Thanksgiving!!









No comments:

Post a Comment