Thursday, May 4, 2017

Everyone dies but not everyone lives!

Everyone dies but not everyone lives!

I forced my wife, my bestie, Anne to rise at 2:30 am today to get to work early so we could drive the rest of the day to New Mexico. Our purpose is to attend the funeral of a good friend the following day. Death is a fact of life so even though I’m shocked at how many people close to me have died the bigger message is whether I am CHOOSING to LIVE today!

I noticed on a recent FB post that a fellow community activist had been hit by a truck while riding her bike early in the morning. Here was someone that truly loved life, sought to protect the rights of those less fortunate but someone in a big truck didn’t see her on her bike. The result is 4 kids that will grow up with only a memory of their mom. The real story is that this mom, Cyndi, lived her life to the max. She was someone that was always outspoken for those that had been left behind by family and society.

Why is it the case that so often we waste so much of our lives waiting for life to happen? Sadly, you might say we are a culture that’s waiting to die! Why? What defines us often is thinking that the grass is greener on the other side and if I only had the latest greatest high tech toy my life would rock. What happened to enjoying the incredible sunsets in Arizona? I love walking our dogs on our canal or seeing that lone Coyote running through the neighborhood. Yet, I too often allow my life to be defined by everything that has little to do with living.

I can remember a recent conversation with a young pastor who is planting a church. I made the soulful confession that too often I measured my life by how many attended church or now as a nonprofit how many donations had come through the mail or online. It’s horrible that we are so quick to miss the moments we have with our kids, special friends or that stranger who is looking for answers.

I confess that I still love rock music after growing up in the 60’s so the lyrics to the band Supherchick’s song ‘Cross the Line’ hit the bull’s eye when it comes to real life unfolding:

Go with the crowd, surely somebody knows
Why we're all wearing the emperor's clothes
Play it safe, play by the rules
Or don't play at all, what if you lose?
That's not the secret, but I know what is
Everybody dies but not everyone lives

So why not MAKE YOUR LIFE COUNT 24-7? Why do I want someone else to be the leader of my life band? Why am I fearful of taking a risk and become the silent spectator in the crowd? Aren’t you tired of being a cheerleader instead of being someone other’s cheer on as you come to the finish line? What’s holding you back?

Just live!! NO MORE EXCUSES!



No comments:

Post a Comment