Sunday, July 16, 2017

Get away from the crowd and you will go places!

One of the most important decisions you will make in life is whether you follow the crowd, being a people pleaser or at times walk alone and go places! There is some much pressure today to conform to whatever the latest fad happens to be. Whether that be in the political arena, academic setting, family or even church. Don’t misunderstand me it so important to learn from those around you to discover who you truly happen to be. The challenge is that too often we have an unhealthy dependence upon the crowd. We allow the crowd or our hero to define us.

I so much love the Dr. Seuss ‘Oh, The Places You'll Go!’. Here’s one of my favorite quotes. “You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.” So why is it the case that so seldom do you or me choose to be trailblazers instead of taking the path traveled by many? One of the local high schools has a bench strategically placed in front of the entry onto campus that has this quote about taking the road less traveled because it will make your life go soo far. I wonder at times how many teens have read that and understand what it truly means? What would happen if more people purposely took the path never taken by any? Imagine how different our lives will be and better the world will become!

I appreciate Robert Frost’s poem ‘The Road Not Taken.’ Here’s the last stanza:
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.







No comments:

Post a Comment