Wednesday, July 19, 2017

What’s the hurry? Why rush around all the time?

This morning I was taken back, offended, by an early morning driver in my neighborhood that was in such a rush that they had to pass me in a 25-mph area while I was going 22-mph? I didn’t see any fire or natural catastrophe happening.  The funny thing is that we both pulled up to a busy street. I could quickly make a right hand turn but this individual was stuck waiting because they were going left into traffic. What did rushing at 4:45am accomplish expect for pushing my button? I arrived at my Starbucks in plenty of time to get my tall Pike and start meditating on what to write.

Yesterday, my Anne was at Costco doing our big shopping trip getting essentials for our household. What shocked her was that there was an older gentleman who lost it over someone in line in front of him that didn’t see the emergency for rushing to move up in the line. The end result was an odd moment at this Big Box store that required staff to intervene in this unlikely battle. I wonder for a few moments what pushes someone to pass another car in a quiet neighborhood or go off on someone in line at Costco, Walmart or Sam’s Club? I know that everyone has ‘Stuff’ in life that few see that could prompt them to do something rather foolish or God forbid I say ‘stupid’!

The crucial question I must ponder is whether I actual wasted time by abiding by the speed limit in my neighborhood or whether the individual that made a scene at Costco made life better for himself and the other family in line? I agree that one of the few things we share in common with other humans is that all of us have 24-hours in a day. How we live out that 24-hour span can see us accomplish great things or be so busy that we must cut corners, run red lights or scream at another while shopping?

I know that the reason why many rush around or cut corners is because they are slow to rise on time, get caught up in petty stuff or not be able to prioritize what matters most. Clearly the few seconds my neighbor seemed to save this morning I’m sure helped her later in the day?? Sadly, too often the person in the rush is the one who cuts corners to make a last-minute left hand turn that ends up in a serious accident. The ambulance driver that now rushes to the scene prays that everyone will take seriously the siren and flashing lights because another was in a rush.

So, is it worth it to attempt to break the sound barrier in my neighborhood or risk getting in trouble for screeching profanity at another Costco Shopper who is patiently waiting to get through the long line to get that incredible ‘Dog and Drink’ for $1.50? I’m always impressed by many of my fellow Starbuck friends who intentionally come inside the store to get their drink instead of using the app to get their order ASAP. Many have decided to get up a few minutes earlier to allow time to chit chat with strangers while getting their Frap or Carmel Macchiato.

I will try to refrain tomorrow from going to my Starbucks at the same time to intentionally be in front of this gal who is always in a rush! I will also repent from over reacting to people who seem to make being late their gift to mankind. Instead I pray that I can distinguish between what really matters in life, being kind to another instead of coming unglued at someone for something totally foolish!



No comments:

Post a Comment