Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Perspective - fact or fantasy?

Is it a big deal as to whether I view a glass as being half full or empty? Is life defined more by what people think and perceive than what actually is the truth? I know most have seen a picture that has multiple pictures within it. Depending up what area you happen to stare at for a few extra seconds determines what you see. If I despise chocolate cake does that mean everyone should ‘hate’ chocolate cake? Where perspective comes into real life is when we allow our prejudices to ‘color’ everything we do and then communicate to the world around us our biases as being factual.

The challenge for most of us is whether the perspective we’ve been raised around totally determines how we think and live.  Is it possible to see through the perspectives of others to discover what is true? Today’s society is fueled by a variety of perspectives that ultimately war against each other.  I’m around at risk youth that automatically have a very low view of the Police. I have some friends who are totally fanatical about diet and exercise so the assumption too often is that someone who is overweight is lazy and definitely a sloth.

I will never forget one of the first times my wife was jogging in our new neighborhood. She saw a Black Escalade pull up with a giant gentleman who jumps out. Initially because of his skin color the assumption was that she was taking a risk. Yet, the reality is that more likely this guy was somewhat embarrassed to be walking his wife’s little Chihuahua. My Anne was totally surprised when he greeted her and struck up a lovely conversation. Yet, on another occasion my son looked ‘cross-eyed’ at the vehicle next to him and because of what could be labeled racism the van followed him for the next 15 minutes.

Clearly in today’s political free for all society there are perspectives on all sides that are difficult to break or change. If I’m a Christian who labels himself as being a Democrat, then the assumption is that I’m a flaming liberal. Just as if I’m a Republican then the assumption is that I should never partner with someone who is in favor of doing social justice. It’s so easy for seniors to have the perspective that all younger people, the millennial generation, only visit if they want something and clearly aren’t hard workers. Just as it’s so easy for the younger generation growing up today to have the perspective that all baby boomers are totally obsessed with only themselves.

I know that most have heard the discussion about considering what type of glasses you wear do determine how you perceive the world around you. I have often heard people express that they are color blind and never have struggled with racial issues or socio-economic struggles. The reality is that its naive to think that you see everything as it truly happens to be. So too often we allow perceptions to determine how we choose to live. I know that I joke too often about Walmart being the Evil Empire and would never shop there. Is it because of the practices of Walmart’s purchasing power that I say this or the perception that shopping at Walmart defines me as being low life or poor?

I know that I’ll ruffle the ‘feathers’ of friends on both side of the spiritual isle when I say that too often Christians look down at those outside the church. Much as atheists or the nonreligious types assume that all Christians are short sighted and judgmental. Just like I choose to go to Starbucks on a daily basis instead of brewing coffee at home. So, the clear perception on my part must be that I have more class because I have my own personal barista!

I have many friends who are African Americans or Hispanics. We joke around a lot and clearly care for each other. Yet, too often the perception could be that because I’m White I think I’m smarter than they are. I will always remember my post college experience of working in the construction industry for a few years. I concluded that I would rather make double as a union concrete worker than as an engineer. Most of the crews weren’t ‘White’ but either African American or Hispanic. Initially I was looked down on because the talk was that I had no business doing this type of work because I had a college degree. I must confess the first 6 months was very difficult being put down because of my race and educational background. Yet, my appreciation for those that work in the ‘Trades’ sky rocketed!

My hope in writing this is to push on all sides the choice to not label anyone as arrogant, slow, dropout, ugly, egghead, narcissist or prejudiced until you get to know them! It’s so easy for me being an early riser to be so critical of someone that lives with us as being a total loser because they don’t rise before noon. One of the more incredible aspects of life is realizing how the creator made us all so different with an intended purpose.

So, look more closely at those around you and don’t assume you know something or someone until you have spent time to understand and appreciate.



No comments:

Post a Comment