Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Time to THRIVE!

In any given moment, we have two options;
            Step forward into growth
            Or step back into safety. (By Abraham Maslow)

The word thrives didn’t hit my ‘radar’ screen until in my mid-twenties when my first born entered the word at 26 weeks instead of 36. As the hospital staff and her parents struggled with what was the path to growth she was given the label, ‘Failure to Thrive!’. My Anne and I spent almost a year deciding that it was time for our overly protected baby to come home and leave the safety of the neonatal unit where she was barely surviving to instead visit the Redwoods and ultimately THRIVE.

It’s amazing how many people always play it safe and never venture off the normal paths in life to pursue the ultimate adventure – LIVING to the MAX. I’m around too many that are in the survival mode. This isn’t just about finances but your willingness to take risks and do something you’ve never done before! Why live up to the status quo when there is clearly a mountain to climb, a wave in the ocean to ride or a moment in the early morning to see the sun rise? Why become a Netflix junkie or totally glued to your iPhone when you could have a dog like my Freckles?

I will be the first to admit that seeking to live a life that THRIVES means you’re always taking a risk. Yes, failure is part of living to the max knowing that playing it safe only leads to a boring life that isn’t going to make a difference in the world around you. I was recently talking to a young gal who will graduate from High School soon. My hope in talking and helping was to push her to dream big and make plans to see her life go from being safe and sure to a thriving adventure. I’m excited that I could hook her up with a couple of college student friends who are Flynn Scholars from Arizona. These gals both have excelled and thrived and are ready to share the passion and love with my young friend.

Why does it always seem that those who are raised around adversity are those that can stand up to the naysayers and overcome life obstacles and THRIVE? I believe that sadly we have raised a generation where most have been given everything and had few struggles in life. The downside to this type of entitlement is it kills your enthusiasm to let go of the shackles of fearing failure and make it happen! Why be like everyone else around you? I know that it’s so easy for parents, family or friends to impose their biases on you.

That’s why it’s so important to learn from those who have lived before to hear their stories and be inspired to THRIVE. I know that some of my heroes have pushed me to do more and be more. (A few of my heroes; Helen Keller, John Perkins, Louie Samperinis, Nelson Mandelas, Dietrich Bonhoeffer, etc.…) My ultimate hero in life is Jesus Christ. He’s the one who proclaimed that he has come that I (or you) can have the most abundant life or as one paraphrase translations reads;
            Better life than you ever dreamed of!

So, I hope and pray that it’s your time now to THRIVE! Please step up and out by making a difference in the world around you by leaving the status quo behind!




No comments:

Post a Comment