Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Connecting

As I begin to study and preach through the gospel of Mark it strikes me that Jesus was someone who was great at networking before the term or concept was birthed. Jesus was a mastered at both intersecting people’s lives and understanding their circumstances in life. Why in the world would a group of successful fishermen leave their nets, hired help and follow a poor carpenter. As I have began a journey with understanding life in the hood I am seeing the utmost importance to stay in touch with the right people. This requires me to be open and willing to listen and then pursue those God puts across my path.

I am typing this blog while sitting in the parking lot of Matt’s Big Breakfast. I am going to meet with Ernie, a she, who is the brainchild of this amazing little restaurant that has captured the hearts of many who are willing to wait in line on a Saturday for an hour plus. I am not sure how I ended up making Matt’s my main place to meet but it happened. It is a small restaurant that seats at max 30 people. The food is considered to be organic and tastes great. I had never heard of organic bacon but they have it. As I have met with many here over the last 2 years I have become good friends with the owner Ernie.

She is a master at building community through her little breakfast place. It has become known as Phoenix’s best breakfast hangout. She has a heart for people, culture and the city. This is wait drew me to her and the way she chooses to make her breakfast and lunches attract people from all over Phoenix. Slowly over the last year I have shared with her what I am doing with New City and my heart for the city, inner city kids and the poor. She echoes many of the same passions as she gets involved with her son’s school and wants to make a difference through connecting others with those in need.

My purpose in writing this is to say that every relationship that comes across your path you should view as important. Little did I know that choosing to do Matt’s once a week or more would birth a friendship that would teach me about doing business from a small perspective and help grow an appreciation for loving the city. Again, understand that Phoenix still lags behind a San Diego, San Francisco or Austin when it comes to the cool factor for the downtown or hood. Yet, in spite of this God has given me a passion for living and loving on Phoenix. The key sign of this is that my wife is starting to ‘acquire the fire’ for Phoenix.

My simple lesson which is fun but a constant is keeping my eyes open to see those around me that God will use to teach me about the City and His love for the lost, the least and the last.

1 comment: