Saturday, March 13, 2010

Kingdom Culture

I was pleased to have had the privilege of coming to the PCA’s Mercy Conference at New City Fellowship of Chattanooga. I have fallen in love with the CCDA group which has much more to offer when it comes to both understanding and doing urban community development work, yet I have to be honest and say God is doing some great things in the PCA in the area of mercy church. I have grown to appreciate the heart and work of both Barry and Randy who are pastors who have been doing community work for decades. They in many ways are both my mentors and encouragers. So I was excited to finally make it to Chattanooga after flying literally for all day.

I didn’t come expecting some overwhelming message or image that would be imprinted on my mind or heart, yet what I left with is something that will help me for a lifetime. I think I am learning that the Kingdom Work that God has laid before me isn’t to make poor people into middle class people but to get middle – upper middle class people to walk towards them and share their possessions and means with them. I loved hearing the simple message that Kingdom work isn’t going to necessarily win awards or get front-page headlines in newspapers or on the net.

I was fortunate to listen to what I have come to view as my personal heroes of community development. I thoroughly enjoyed listening to Maria who has raised her 5 kids in the urban area of Baltimore. She was great on being transparent and honest about the difficulty of making boundaries to both protect her family and also allow special friends to be part of her life and help them grow and develop. Her oasis seemed to be experienced through her writing simple poems that expressed the heart ache of watching the impact of poverty, being fatherless and the war over a person’s soul. She gave hope that there is a reason not to quit or walk out of the hood or ghetto.

I at first wasn’t really impressed with Barry from NCF in St. Louis as a dynamic speaker but have grown to see him as one who understands the ‘lay of the land’ for doing community work. I so much resonate with his heart to see the kingdom as being called to live humbly through the gospel. Expectations take on a different look when you leave behind your ‘white’ guy culture of bigger is better, play toys are everything and realize that people or kids are what is truly important. I had an opportunity to connect with Barry and especially his son, Aaron who is into his 15th year of doing youth mentoring through doing construction work. It would be easy to look down at Aaron as just being a kid when he is truly a seasoned veteran of doing community development work. I continue to see a common theme – God’s calls for the long haul, there are no simple easy answers to life’s trouble.

I know that I have blessed to see God work so quickly through what has and will happen at New City in Phoenix. God has given me a passion and heart for these neighborhoods that have people with real names and faces. I am truly blessed to have many new friends who are willing to help with tutoring our kids and helping paint houses of low-income seniors. I am amazed at how many have helped over the last couple of years in impacting our neighborhoods where God has placed New City or Barrio Nuevo. As I sit in the last session of the conference I am skeptical of whether Thurman, the Black Brother, will just turn out to be another middle class guy that is more interested in looks and style. The Lord truly blows me away as he preaches a great sermon on the Good Samaritan. Yes, he looks good and has an amazing delivery as a Black Brother, which he should. The important point is that his message just reinforces what has already been said over the last 24 hours. Don’t walk away from anything without giving out grace and mercy. Yes, you can make a difference and no you are not going to be a world changer but a life changer. The message still comes out loud and clear the kingdom is a mustard seed that has small beginnings and should never be forced into the secular mindset of bigger is better or you have to make someone into you for them to succeed in life.

As I stepped back to assess what is it I am suppose to talk home it was simple as Thurman finished – do likewise – be like the good Samaritan, don’t walk away expend your resources, learn to trust God more and be willing to step out and do foolish things for the kingdom. Yes, I am learning that God only promises to take care of today and I am suppose to trust him for tomorrow and future needs. I know there are no guarantees in life and that God’s faithfulness doesn’t include getting an ipad or the next generation of macbook pro laptop. I may have to walk away from my present house and move into either my painting or habitat neighborhood in the next year.

God thanks for all you have been teaching me through my new friends both kids and adults over the last year or so. You have brought me many great partners to help and then some incredibly people to walk with us on this urban journey that is for a lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment