Thursday, September 9, 2010

A Different Way

I have a side to me where I am really adventurous and willing to try anything. Yet, this was my first time to the ‘windy City’ and going to a conference in a high-end hotel in the downtown seemed like walking into another world. I decided to take a taxi instead of taking the shuttle thinking that I could actually get to the conference in time for the first workshop instead making the assumption that I would skip it. I enjoyed my Jordanian driver who in one breath would say great things about America, take a slice at Bush for invading Iraq, let an f-bomb slip and then be back to singing the praise of the US.

I know have a twinge that happens when I enter back to the world of the middle class. I had chosen not to stay at the Sheraton where the conference was being held. It was way too expensive and I really wanted to see the city. So the conference website suggested to stay at the Chicago Hostel which was only 1.1 miles from the Hotel. As I walked to the Hostel around 10PM it struck me that I had no clue as to whether it was safe to walk, take a taxi, figure the bus or just hoof it. It was scary at first because I walked an odd route that was over the river on the traffic route. Having just walked the more normal way it is amazing to see all of the different universities, galleries and assortment of stores, cafes and high rise buildings. The hostel wasn’t that big of a deal, just I was by myself and obviously the old man in the midst of the youthful adventurous, which wanted to see Chicago.

I am fortunate to know a lot of people in the CCDA movement. One of my good friends from Phoenix is also here. We walked around after the first set of workshops before going out to dinner. She has food issues so had found a local market close by. We walked over and looked at it and were pleasantly surprised at how urban cool it was. They had free bite sized samples of pastry that were out of this world, sorry Linda but they weren’t gluten free. I got an Americano and chatted with the gal behind the coffee counter. She had an unusual accent that wasn’t Midwest but more Jerseyish. She looked and actually sounded like Rosy Perez.

Oh – back to my stay at the Hostel. As I get ready for bed, which equates to plugging in my laptop, iphone and look at some interesting things about Chicago. It was around 11PM that my fellow roommates start to show up. They were a mix of nationalities with interesting accents. The room setup was that you had two adjacent rooms that shared a bathroom area with a looking door. I looked at the various reviews on Yelp and discovered that this Hostel had a great reputation and was considered safe and clean. I agree the staff was great and apart from being the old guy it was fun. I woke up at 4AM body time but 6AM Chicago time. I had my shower and one of my roommates jumped up and left to jog. I would walk my 1.5 miles to the conference for my morning exercise.

I am now sitting at a local Starbucks on a busy intersection that looks out to high-rise buildings that dwarf the people walking underneath. I know that being a Phoenix guy I am not use to a large downtown, especially one that has a riverfront and then this great lake like just in front of this massive hotel. The crowd that walks buy doesn’t look much different from the crowd in Phoenix. I am still judging as to whether I stick out in my particular dress or people just don’t talk a whole lot while they are walking to work or school.

I had some last minute jitters about coming to this CCDA Conference because of the cost and time away from my Anne. She tried to give me a guilt trip that almost worked. I know that my first workshop only had ten people and was on the topic of impact of relocation for teenagers whose parents are urban mercy fanatics. I felt guilty as I listened and admitted that many things I had done in life and ministry didn’t really put my kids at the forefront. The reality is that any church work, whether in the suburbs or the hood always ahs collateral damage for kids of church workers. I know that saying you trust God and all things work for the best can be a cop out but I believe my kids have all been impacted by our South Phoenix move. I know that the friendships and the multitude of youth will leave an impression on all of them.

The workshop I wanted to attend just happened to be in the same room. So different from my first seminar this one was packed out and it was no surprise as to why it was about racism and what can I as a white guy can do about it. The guy leading the workshop looked rather extreme with his 6-inch goatee. He lived in Philly but was raised in Huntington ID. He described his childhood experience as one that wasn’t struck by any sense of racism. It wasn’t until he moved to Philly, got involved with Simple Way and a City Mission Group that he discovered he grew up in a ‘Sundown Town’.

The two hours in the seminar was very captivating, humorous and tragic. I admit to being part of the racism thing mostly by ignoring it. I was raised around St. Louis MO which is a city torn by racism. I was born into a larger family that prided itself on being Lutheran, democrats and racists. My mom’s mom introduced me to the N word when I was 9. I’ll never forget her comment to me that you can’t trust N________ and that they are all bad. My dad blew up and almost torn my red haired grandma to pieces.

Chris, the seminar leader, gave some down to earth practical advice; such as he get your head out of the sand, learn the history of your area, family and start being a neighbor not a missionary to those who are different than you. I know that I have dove into a multi-cultural neighborhood that is at war on many different levels. I love the people I am around but also get frustrated when I see people of the same color killing each other. I tire of breaking up fights, being fearful that another teen will steal another teen’s ipod or cell phone. Yet, this is my calling and I have the God given energy to deal with it and with the gospel see a difference made in this South Phoenix culture.

I confess to selecting a Starbucks and not an independent coffee shop for doing this blog. I will go to the cool urban market place later on to write again. I am excited to see first hand one of the more effective mercy churches in ccda today. I am also excited to have dinner with a college friend who has done much for the urban area in LA.

No comments:

Post a Comment