Thursday, September 23, 2010

Reconciliation can happen!

I was talking with someone today who was interested in helping us with the Painting Blitz in November. As usual I am always very enthusiastic about the work we do in our neighborhood. I so much want others in the great Phoenix area to get involved and understand God’s call to all of us to be convicted about our need to recognize our need to pursue racial reconciliation and have a passion to share our wealth who those less fortunate. I attempted to get this group to help out before blitz.

My real focus in this blog is to say that it is too easy to think that life in urban centers are always about racial strife between groups. I know that I have had my share of battles erupt between both adults and youth. So it is always a little frustrating to finish an event that has gone really smoothly to have two individuals clash over something really ‘dumb’. So this last Saturday after skating with a large group of 50 and not having anything happen it was a totally let down when driving back in the van one of our teen guys gets into with a teen girl. I had to pull over and physically stop him from hitting her. We talk both after the incident, on the phone, via text and with his uncle.

I was pleasantly surprised when the guy calls me up and wants to apologize to the gal he had hit. I know that it is easy to say you’re sorry and give an outward sense that you have a repentant heart. So listening to these to talk for a few minutes and acknowledge that they have been friends for 3 years plus and that they really do care for each other and come out of similar circumstances.

I was blessed to witness this reconciliation between these teens. It gives a bigger sense of what God is really at work doing in the lives of both kids and adults. I know that this won’t be the last time either of these teens gets into fights but at least it is a good step to understanding what life should really be like.

A new day and a renewed sense of hope in seeing God work through reconciliation has made my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment