Thursday, January 6, 2011

Flat Tires

I have had one of those weeks where I am expecting a few more flats! I have been to Discount Tires like four times this week. I am blessed to have God raise money for the van to have new tires but I didn’t expect to buy all four tires at once. I also didn’t expect my little yellow car to need a new tire, my truck to need a new battery and the white station wagon to have a flat tire and also have the donut go flat. I know that in spite of all of the flats God is still faithful and concerned about me and those around me.

I have gotten a few texts and requests from one of my kid’s mom, Rochelle, to lie to the court about her doing community service. I know that at times those who are in real trouble will ask for help and I am sure some churches and non-profits will ‘fudge’ a little about doing community service. I explained to her that she hadn’t helped at all over the 2 years that I have been helping her sons, Pee Pee, Bookie and Peanut. She has been pretty good about letting me know that she is sick, she’s pregnant and can’t physically do community service work. I have pleaded with her via text, even as I write.

I admit that I have lied at times, fudged on different things so I understand the cry of I ‘m going to get in real trouble if you don’t help me. I truly thought through whether I could lie about her doing 70 hours of community service work. I have teens who are doing community service work all of the time, the difference is that they actually come and help. She hasn’t helped at all at this juncture. I have especially loved on her son Bookie, who is an amazing little 2nd grader. His dad has been in prison since he was 3 years old. His grandma, who is 76, has raised him.

It is easy for me to text someone a tough love message but am I willing to stand with her and help? I know that others would be quick to judge her and say how can you have 8 kids while you are in your 20’s? All of the obvious judgments would come out and she would be viewed like the prostitute caught in the midst of her sin where Jesus breaks up the potential stoning. Should I pay her $750 that she owes the court for traffic tickets? I can’t lie about community service but I could give? What really would help her get her act together?

It is interesting that Jesus walked into a mess, as a group of men were about to stone young women. There was a good chance that many of the men being critical of this woman had enjoyed her at some point and time. Jesus is amazing in how he breaks up the group by writing in the dirt something, which we don’t know for sure. Some would speculate he was writing out the commandments. Regardless the crowd slowly began to disburse and the woman was left alone with Jesus. The simple message but over powering was go and sin no more. Obviously without Jesus’ powerful presence and forgiveness this would be impossible.

I’ve texted Rochelle, numerous times while writing to get the real story behind what really happened. I don’t know what will be the outcome of her situation. I know that paying her fine won’t help her. I also know that lying for her won’t help but get me in trouble. My prayer is God give me wisdom and a heart of compassion. As I last texted her what are you going to do today that is different from your past? Only Jesus can transform her heart and give her the power and a reason to be different right now. God work I pray in her heart and mind to get the help she needs today.

No comments:

Post a Comment