Wednesday, January 19, 2011

One Timer?

Yesterday was one of those days where I got a lot accomplished, so I felt good about myself but on the other hand faced some reality checks. I started off by getting up to read and write like usual. I had to pick up a group of teens for school and then after dropping them off take one of my teens to JV Court for skating boarding at his school after hours. I know that this was a wake up call for this teen.

As we approach the big court building I purposely parked in the adult section. We ended up having to walk all the way around the building because they had changed the entrance for non-employees of the court. We walked around and then discovered that we were at the adult court and not the juvenile court. So we walked a little while more and came into a very empty and quiet building. I had a sense that the Probation Officer probably wouldn’t talk to me because I wasn’t a legal guardian. So after sitting and watching this teen fidget a little the PO came out and called us into his office. He was very slow to say much initially but then explained the situation. He thanked me for helping but said that the mom or dad had to be present in order for this to be finished.

I asked the PO to explain the process. He asked some simple questions about the teens home life and present patterns of behavior. I explained that he was already involved with tutoring and other activities with New City that were community service directed. He rescheduled another date when I will bring the teen and his mom. As we are walking out he made the unusual comment that you are a one timer. I asked him to explain what that meant to the teen. He said that the teen wasn’t only going to be seen once and so the PO wanted him to not do anything else considering that he had everything going in his favor.

After I returned home via a detour at McDonalds so the teen and myself could eat something there was a message from a good friend and fellow pastor. I had to finish a couple of things at my desk before calling. He had mentioned that he wasn’t coming to a meeting on Thursday so he wouldn’t see me. He had written a report or overview of what we were doing the last quarter. We talked for about 15 minutes. The focus of our conversation was that there were a few in my larger church context that were concerned about the progress and real focus of New City – Barrio Nuevo. I know that many won’t understand what I am doing and whether it is really a church. I shared about a few visitors over the last month or so that I at first was somewhat fearful they might react to our church service or see us more as a non-profit that works with at risk youth only. I briefly mentioned on a good note that I had now found a Hispanic pastor to partner with us and another younger Hispanic single dad who has been significantly involved over the last 6 months. We ended on a positive note but as always I am humbled by God to know that everything I do is totally dependent upon Him.

That afternoon I met with a young dad who is a passionate entrepreneur. We had met and talked earlier at my Starbucks. He is a Latino personal trainer who had decided to do something totally outside the box. So I listened and watched a couple of his you tube clips about leadership, life and living. So I returned to my Starbucks and waited for him. He was a few minutes late, which surprised me because he prided himself on not wasting time and being focused or driven. As I was looking at the time I see him pull up with his nine month old son in his arms. He sat and listen to me share about my passions and then I asked him to do the same. After about an hour we had talked each other out and sensed that we shared some of the same passions, helping people achieve more and a more holistic approach to life. Obviously we talked about the reality check that we can play business experts but are we really doing anything. It was clear that both of us are connected and connecting to more people and circumstances.

After taking a group of our teens home after our normal Tuesday night dinner and discussion at our house I had a call from an out of state number. I listened to the message and it was a young doctor who was a resident at the county hospital. He had visited our New City at Night Service a week prior. He was excited about what we were doing and wanted his wife, who was visiting to connect with us. So we are having them over for dinner on Friday night. As I wrap up this morning blog I remember I have another friend coming in for a meeting tomorrow who will meet me for lunch at one of my favorite Hispanic markets and attend our tutoring tonight.

Time again to go home and take some of our house guests to school this am.

No comments:

Post a Comment