Wednesday, March 23, 2011

New Friends 2

Last night we did our usual Tuesday dinner and discussion. We now have some new volunteers that help us split our large group of teens into two groups – guys and girls. It is amazing to see the difference a few extra helping hands/minds can have on a group. I know that what we are doing with kids/teens in the South Phoenix neighborhoods is on the edge at times.

We were talking about friendship, what it is, why we need friends and the power of having good friendships instead of the power of destructive relationships. I can now think back a month ago or so when I went to the Social Security Office to work on my dad’s Social Security. An older guy, who was also, retired military that quickly lighted up as I talked about what we did and our need for more volunteers was helping me. It wasn’t too long after we talked that I got an e-mail from his wife and the interesting fact that she grew up in Fresno next to a really good friend of mine.

Now look a couple of months after this initial meeting. We have a discussion group on friendship and understanding life and now my new friend shares his story. He grew up in the Bronxs without a father in a neighborhood that was definitely worse then our hood in South Phoenix. It was amazing to hear him share about the need to never quit and to look for positive role models. I can remember my new friend telling how he didn’t believe in God the way he use to because of going to a mega church that seemed too perfect. Yet, here he was saying that basis for a friendship that will last was God. Yeah, he affirmed the existence of God and our need to have a relationship/friendship with Him.

I am jazzed that God continues to bring me into new people that can share the talents and gifts they have with our group. I know that I am not superman and after going to the Skillet Concert at Cityfest and listening to their song, Hero, I know that I need a real hero who can step up and help when I am crashing and burning which does happen all of the time. So thanks God for being my hero in Jesus and now continuing to bring me friends who can help impact the life of a marginalized teen.

What I need real help with is impacting the lives of the parents and guardians of my kids. I get rather frustrated with the ongoing drama of single moms that are living on the wild side. I am thankful that they are there don’t get me wrong, the dads are absent and wacked out, yet these kids need real ongoing love, support and examples of how to live. All of a sudden the talk we had last night makes real sense that a friendship is based upon unconditional love. Yet, the sad reality is that I don’t see much of this. It is more important to hang out with friends and party then get your teen re-enrolled in school.

No comments:

Post a Comment