Friday, March 4, 2011

New Friends

Yesterday was an awesome day because I met a younger couple that were visiting Phoenix on vacation. It was a joy meeting with them at Matt’s Big Breakfast and talking about doing community development work that enables an established church to think outside the box. They are part of a church that will probably bring a group out in the summer to partner with New City – Barrio.

It is always interesting to talk with someone on the phone and communicate via e-mail. The shocker is when you meet this person face to face. I was expecting someone a little older, not that this couple were kids but they looked the part. It was exciting to hear them talk about wanting to help transition their church to be in a position to better understand the Biblical rationale to care for their neighbors. It was exciting to hear that this couple lived in the neighborhood around their church. We had a great time talking about doing neighborhood mercy work.

I took them on a tour of our neighborhood. We stopped and sat in the park at South Ranch. I gave my Habitat overview and then explained how we started and the unfolding process of connecting with a variety of people. They both had done some work with Habitat back in their hometown. I shared a little about YPO helping a couple of times with New City – Bariro. It was time to now drive to our painting neighborhood and meet a few people.

We drove up to Mrs. Jefferson’s house. I was thrilled to see her car in the driveway. I got out of my truck and would signal them if she were able to come out talk. As I approached the door I saw two guys get into it and start calling each other names. I realized I wasn’t going to step in and stop them so I stepped back and waited a few minutes. As their voices escalated I was ready to leave but out comes Mrs. Jefferson. We sit and talk a few minutes. She is taken back thinking I have brought the ‘camera crew’ to do our video which we have been talking about. I reassure her that this young couple is just visiting from Kansas on vacation. Amazingly Mrs. Jefferson walks over and now ignores what had just happened with her grandsons. We have a nice chat and then move on.

Next stop is Art’s house and his herd of dogs and cats. As we pull up Art is actually outside sitting and enjoying the nice morning. We all get out of the cars and start talking and Art quickly moves me to take his 10 bags of who knows what that had filled his storage room the last year. It is rather smelly because of the cats living inside it. The couple very politely helps take the plastic bags, which are filled mostly with stuffed animals. It was fun watching this couple talk with Art and attempt to pet Quincy, the big dog who is supposed to bite strangers not welcome them.

The last stop before they go back to their hotel has to be Ranch Market. It has been almost a year since Ranch Market had a fire, which closed the entire store. Everyone in South Phoenix has been awaiting the grand opening of this awesome store. So as we pull into the parking lot it is totally full and we have to drive around to find a space. As we walk to the entrance there are numerous groups welcoming you with loud Hispanic Music blaring in the background. As we walk in you are transported to a foreign land. It was so much fun to watch their faces as we got fruit drinks and were able to sample of a variety of free food. This was definitely best way to ‘top off’ a visit to Phoenix and our work in the Barrio. As we said our goodbyes I realized I was going to have to take off instantly to my lunch appointment.

We drove off with the loud music blaring in the background but were satisfied between my platano drink and the quesadilla from Ranch.

No comments:

Post a Comment